MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got any advice on how to avoid damage to my little car when going over speed bumps???
no matter how i approach,slow,low gear,a bit quicker and up a gesr i scrape the skirt and bang something underneath!!!!!grrrrrrr.....just dont want to do any damage underneath as i not even sure what is catching on them!!!!!!!!

:carstart:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It sounds like the hydragas suspension could do with pumping up, as you shouldn't have any problems clearing speed humps.

A quick check of the ride height will soon tell you if you need a bit more fluid/pressure in the system.

The ride height can be quickly checked by measuring from the front wheel centre to the wheel arch lip vertically aboveit, on both side of the car. On a standard MGF this height should be 368 mm @ 17C.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Crossing them at a 45' angle helps if they are not too long.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It sounds like the hydragas suspension could do with pumping up, as you shouldn't have any problems clearing speed humps.

A quick check of the ride height will soon tell you if you need a bit more fluid/pressure in the system.

The ride height can be quickly checked by measuring from the front wheel centre to the wheel arch lip vertically aboveit, on both side of the car. On a standard MGF this height should be 368 mm @ 17C.
Agreed, a lot of MGF's sit too low

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
driving over at an angle can help.. turn the wheels left as you go up the ramp, on the way down on t'other side turn the wheels to the right.. effectively ziz zagging slighty...

kel.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The metal sound from underneath is an under tray in the middle of the car that protects the suspension pipes and collant pipes. Mine catches coming out of my drive but not over speed bumps. Its been doing it years and I expected it to look destroyed but its hardly dented, I am moving very slow though, not even close to road driving speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts