MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZS has a Kenwood stereo fitted (CD).

Whilst I reasonably happy with the sound from the front speakers, the back ones sound a little 'thin'.

Does anyone know what is involved in upgrading them, what size and what is suitable.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Is depends on whether it is a saloon or hatchback.

My mates got a Rover 420 saloon and from memory they look similar to the ones on 800's which mount like this:

Lie in the boot and there will be bolts which hold them in, undo these and remove them from in the car.

If it is a hatch, then remove the carpets around where the suspension turrets are and they are held in from underneath. If it is a hatch I wouldn't bother replacing them as it is their size which is the problem.

Put some decent ones like 6 x 9's or 6 1/2 inch drivers in the parcel shelf as the standard ones are only 4" and whilst being OK to use to throw at people they ain't good for much else.

Once you have got them out, go to a decent audio place and get some sorted out. If it is a saloon then it is possible to change them and keep the Rover casings so that noone will even know they are different until you turn up the volume . . . . . . .

Matt.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

As my ZS is 5 door I guess that I'm stuck with them without some major work.

I got a 5 door because I often need the space and the ability to drop the back seat so I cannot really consider putting anything on or under the parcel shelf.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Oh, never mind.

You could still put ones on the parcel shelf. It would just mean that you had to unplug them when you wanted to drop the rear seats.

If still no, then it is probably still worth changing the ones that are there as you will notice some difference. The OE stuff has no travel. Travel is proportional to size, so a 4" Rover speaker is like a piezo buzzer. An infinity would probably sound a lot better, it just won't hit the really low notes as it hasn't got the surface area needed to generate the sound at anything less than 100 Hz say.

Matt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts