MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally did them, and here's a pic or two. Just look at the state of the old plugs.
I used this to do the rear coil packs & plugs.

The gap isn't too restrictive:

Look at these bad boys:

All in all in took me an hour and a half, and didn't lose much skin on my hands and went quite smoothly, nowhere near as difficult to do as some people make out, definately do not need to remove the inlet manifold.
If I can do this so can anybody....trust me!!

·
pricey
68 Posts
I think it was easier than I first thought by looking at the location of the back 3, a little fiddly but not too hard

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was easier than I first thought by looking at the location of the back 3, a little fiddly but not too hard
Yeah not that hard at all really, if you have the right tools it's a piece of cake. Absolutely do not need to go to the hassle of taking off the inlet manifold ;)

Bet it goes a lot better with the new plugs!!!!

Worth the effort to get the old ones out.

:wave:
Well worth it, pulls hard and long now and much smoother, seems to have solved the misfire issue anyways :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think it did well to even start up with the state of the plugs.

According to the service book the last service was done and stamped at 46000 and its now done 62000, don't think they changed the plugs looking at the state of them....I have put some Iridium tipped ones in now so should be good for a while providing the coil packs behave themselves. Oil being done in next couple of weeks and might do the fuel filter and air filter as they are cheap. Anything else I can do to aid in smooth running, or have I covered the basics as far as servicing goes?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm pretty sure the plugs should have been changed on the 45,000 mile service, I think the service schedule calls for the plugs every 45,000 miles.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Belts are one of the main things to do, plus tensioners and water pump. If they havnt been done.

Changed all the fluids in my derv, pollen filter, check thermostat housing in the V, disks and pads.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
belts haven't been done and I know they are due on time scale but mileage is quite low. Really can't afford it at the moment so looking to do it in new year, just hope she holds out till then
Well the book says they have been done but that was only HAND written in there so would be inclined to think not

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Trouble is the state of the plugs wouldnt give me much confidence in any of the past history.

Best to assume it all needs doing and do it when funds allow.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
belts haven't been done and I know they are due on time scale but mileage is quite low. Really can't afford it at the moment so looking to do it in new year, just hope she holds out till then
Well the book says they have been done but that was only HAND written in there so would be inclined to think not
I did mine on about 35K / 7 years and the water pump was on its last legs. I wouldn't gamble on it much after the 6 years.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't plan on leaving it longer than I have to, but funds won't stretch to that at present so it will have to hopefully hold out till new year

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did mine today ... put a set of Iridiums in it (just to see if there's any difference!) I'll let you know when I drive it.
I didn't remove the inlet manifold either but then I've done them before so knew what to expect. Completed in under an hour :)

Water pump next as it's well knackered! JOY!

Edit: I've now been out and tested the Iridiums ... the car pulls like a train (in a Tokyo Bullet kind of way!) and it seems a bit louder but, that might just be because I was accelerating like a 19 year old everywhere LOL

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Platinum plugs (as these are) are 60,000 miles in the KV6 iirc

·
Registered
510 Posts
Platinum plugs (as these are) are 60,000 miles in the KV6 iirc
Correcto. 60,000 miles, i've had 4 sets on mine now as i've just serviced the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts