MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on adding some sound proofing to my mk2 ZS saloon in the near future.

Would like to do to boot floor, under the rear seats and behind the door cards. Maybe a few other areas behind trim pannels etc...

Roughly how many sq. ft. of sound proofing mats would i need?
Can anyone recommend any value sound proofing on ebay?

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Have you thought of looking at the scrap yards, I understand that Mk1's had better quality soundproofing than the Mk2's.

Dont know if the 400 series had better than the Mk1's!!!!

Or how its all stuck in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
there is a previous thread on sound proofing that sheddist did cover i beleive it might be worth looking on there. i know he went very far to sound proof his as he doesnt like little noises but just tapping the body panels of his feels alot more solid than mine was.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Have you thought of looking at the scrap yards, I understand that Mk1's had better quality soundproofing than the Mk2's.

Dont know if the 400 series had better than the Mk1's!!!!

Or how its all stuck in.
That's what I was going to say, the area I know of that got deleted was the under bonnet.

What are you wanting to acheive?
IIRC just a square of dynamat on each panel makes a huge difference.

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
If you want to save some serious £££ then use a camping bed roll, one of those rolls of sponge that sometimes are available form s £1 shop. This stuff has really good soundproofing qualities, great for use under carpets and trims.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was out shopping today and saw a £ shop, so popped in and picked up 5 rolls of camping mat :lol:

Its about 0.4cm thick so i might double it up. Also got two rolls of cloth tape to stick it all down with. Couldn't think of what else to use as i dont want glue everywhere?

Hoping to have a go at lining the boot in the morning. After that i would like to do under the rear bench and then behind the door cards and possibly some of the trim pannels.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have some thin foam underlay left over from the laminate i just laid. I hope it is thick enough to work. I'm going to give that a go, boot and door cars same as you. Let us know how it goes.
Also people have mentioned the roof? Sounds like a lot of effort so is it worth it?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
A thickness of 7mm is too thin for an absorbent foam to make much difference except for very high frequencies, you want 27mm or more to do a decent job of absorbing noise.

Try a roll of this: http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...-Plastic-Insulation-370mm-x-4m-200mm-11127510 , you get a lot more of it for a lot less cost, it is even "subsidised under the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target.", although you are not allowed to use it for a new car !!!

Good for under carpets, although you may want to spilt the sheets into half thickness as it is 29 times thicker than your ebay stuff! and also excellent for filling voids - eg completely filling the roof cavity, an excellent sound absorber, lightweight and doesn't even mind a bit of damp.

It doesn't actually block road noise like heavyweight things such as Dynamat so to get the car really quiet you still need something like Dynamat or roof flashing on the floor panels underneath the absorbent, it does absorb the sound which makes it into the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.