MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the car to the dyno on Friday. I had mey new 600cfm carb and tall single plane manifold all bolted on and ready to rock.

It took 4 passes to get the AFR's right while running noramlly aspirated. I ended up drilling out my biggest secondary jets to make the numbers right.

On my final NASP run she made another 25bhp over the last setup. So 244.8bhp over the previous 219bhp. that put a smile on my face.

Then I stuck a 100shot of gas on. AFR's well rich. Run aborted for re jetting. After 3 more runs I had just got the AFR's right at WOT on gas. Then I ended up on the final run with 75hp less gas than I had been previously running. I was expecting this run to yield 395bhp to match the old figures with a 300 shot.

As there had been 1 hour between passes I expected the tyres to have cooled enough. On the last run of the day. She span up nice and smooth. Then it hit WOT and the gas came in. She tried very hard to jump off the rollers, but Martin hung in there. After 4.5 seconds at WoT on gas the AFR's were just about spot on. Then stuff happened :(

AND

Luckily the tyres only had 3mm of tread left which I was hoping to trash next weekend. Now I've had to fit my old street tyres as I cant get any new slicks for 8 weeks :(

Perry

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
wow, i bet that made you jump!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Perry

Can you post up the graphs for NASP and Gas?
I was always told not to run slicks on the rollers, was never sure why till now.
I'll be at POD all day mate, I have a set of 225/50/15 MT Drag Radials 4x100 if they are of any use?
Mate of mine is building a drag car, he's set aside 10 days to complete it, Civic with a D16Z6 that's the single OHC vtec, a rather larger Holset turbo, will be tuned at 10psi as its only running stock internals BUT the car has been stripped to within an inch of its life, should be fun.
Neil will be their with the GTM and yet another NOS set-up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Ed!

I've just stuck my old eT Streets on. But they are too small for this setup now. I'll be running out of gears before the 1/8th. But I'll have a giggle getting there :)

I might just fart about doing wheelies and stuff for a laugh. Cos i dont think I'll be doing any serious times. Unless my next modification this week improves things.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Perry

Did you manage to sort the car out on sunday, my dad said you had a lot of problems with it coughing away from the start?

On a positive note he was well chuffed with a new pb for the old v8 cavalier.
Apparently he only had 2 runs because of a oil leak but managed a 10.3 @131mph!

cheers Scott

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Scott!
Bob and Martin parked up opposite us, so we had good chinwagging time.
Bob did have problems with the carb etc. But smoothed that out and went out to do that stonking 10.3 run. I was behind him in the queue at that time. I almost got my car sorted. But it still bogged badly off the line. So a bit more work needed for next year now :)

Was a good weekend all round really. Apart from one of my mob breaking a driveshaft.

Perry

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Hi Scott!
Bob and Martin parked up opposite us, so we had good chinwagging time.
Bob did have problems with the carb etc. But smoothed that out and went out to do that stonking 10.3 run. I was behind him in the queue at that time. I almost got my car sorted. But it still bogged badly off the line. So a bit more work needed for next year now :)

Was a good weekend all round really. Apart from one of my mob breaking a driveshaft.

Perry
Yep, that was me breaking a driveshaft on the start line!:oops: Wasted most of the day trying to track one down, then got AA'd back to RallyMatt's workshop near Silverstone at 6pm.
He had found a driveshaft from another customer's car that I could have and fitted it while I waited.:coffee:

I was on my way home by 7:30pm :)
Ah well, there's always next year. Or maybe I should just start doing trackdays instead of just 1/4 mile straights................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts