MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm looking for advice on an issue with my MK 2 ZS 180. Driving home the other day I looked in the rear view mirrow to see a lot of smoke from the back of my car. I pulled over immediately and switched it off. At first I thought it might be a tyre rubbing or something but on switching the engine back on the cloud started again.

Tow truck ride later I get it home. Had a mechanic friend call over to have a look about three days later, when we turned it on the smoke was instantly there (which he said was definitely oil smoke) but after a couple of seconds it cleared up and ran normally. He said it is running on all cylinders, oil isn't milky etc. I've since started it daily in the driveway and all I get is the condensation steam coming out but there's no problem starting it and definitely not the major smoke of the initial problem.

Now i'm just scared to drive it anywhere. One thing my mechanic suggested is that it could be something i the emission control/pollution gear where maybe a valve was sticky and stuck open for a few seconds letting the oil into the engine? Any advice or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, I haven't got a catch tank and think I'll fit one just in case it's related. Air cleaner had a bit of oil on it and a bit in the throttle body but not enough to cause the amount of smoke it bellowed out.

Took it for a brief run today and no issues thankfully but still nervous to go far afield. I found someone local with a diagnostic program that I'll get them to plug it in but not sure what that will show up? Fingers crossed!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Just fitted SDi injectors in my derv, now goes like stink. Trouble is, it gets the power by pushing more derv into the engine. When you really boot it there is black smoke, for a bit!!!

Only other thing I would do is a compression test on the cylinders, just to make sure all the rings/valves are ok and the bores arnt worn.

If the car is running ok now, it sounds like it may have sucked up a bit of oil from the breather system.

All the best with it.

:wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts