MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been spoken about alot in the past, but just wanted folks opinions on which fuel they use.

I do alot of short journeys to and from work, a 24 mile round trip plus some longer runs at the weekend. I get about 100 miles to 20 quid of fuel.

I sometimes put in VPower but do you think you get better mpg, the car pulls stronger etc?

Thinking of filling her up with a 50/50 mix of VPower and premium and see if I get any better mpg. Is VPower really as good as they say? :)

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
I never use higher octane rated fuel . . . I used the Tesco 97 stuff for a while a couple of years ago, can't say I noticed a massive difference.

Get up earlier when the air is cooler instead :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never use higher octane rated fuel . . . I used the Tesco 97 stuff for a while a couple of years ago, can't say I noticed a massive difference.

Get up earlier when the air is cooler instead :D
Lol, i've heard peeps say they get more fuel into there car filling up first thing, I work shifts and normal get home in the early hours so will try filling up then. :) The local Jet garage is the cheapest at 114.9 at the mo around here. Think i will do a test fill up with premium, then the next time try with VPower. :yup:

i always seem to get $hitty mileage whenever i fill up with supermarket own brand petrol.

have noticed a slight improvement whenever i use Optimax or similar but then that could be down to way i drive my *****. I do like to ride her bloody hard :)
+1 here also! oh eh said the bishop to the actress... Lol :biggrin:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have tried V-power on a few occasions to see if there's any difference, and I have to say I've never noticed any benefit.
Some engines respond to higher octane fuels more than others.
I usually end up back on 95RON supermarket fuel.

The performance from the KV6 is so variable though it may be hard to be sure.
I guess this is due to air temperature/density etc.

Some days it's pretty good (usually when its cool), but most of the time though I find my 180 pretty slow.
I guess I'm just too used to it now.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Had the car for 5 years and mainly fed on Shell Optimax/VPower. Have recently also been using Tesco 99RON as sometimes it is easier to find a Tesco than Shell. There were rare occasions I have to use 97RON Super Unleaded when I couldn't locate a Shell or Tesco and have also tried 95RON unleaded and there is definite difference in power compare to VPower or Tesco 99. I might even stick my neck out and say Shell VPower is slighly better than Tesco 99.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
I was in a shell station yesterday and noticed the poverty fuel was now rebranded as some extra MPG type fuel, not sure if it is just a trial or it is nationwide.

Some leaflet on the counter said something about saving 1 litre of fuel per tank, not sure how that works, but i filled it up from empty as a test.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was in a shell station yesterday and noticed the poverty fuel was now rebranded as some extra MPG type fuel, not sure if it is just a trial or it is nationwide.

Some leaflet on the counter said something about saving 1 litre of fuel per tank, not sure how that works, but i filled it up from empty as a test.
I found my 180 ran a little worse on the new stuff not as responsive etc changed over to another standard 95 and it seemed better.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Ive gotta say i havent noticed any difference when using vpower to the normal unleaded fuel power wise or mpg but from what i,m led to belive is that the vpower has cleaning agents in it compared to the normal stuff thats the only reason i use vpower

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
Vpower has cleaning agents added to help clear the fuel system out like the injectors

You need to run a few tanks through to really notice a difference, but once you do trust me you'll never go back

I used to run Tesco 99 until I ran about 3 tanks of VPower through it in a row. More power, a smoother delivery and a good 20 - 30 miles more out of the tank!

Been using it constantly for nearly 2 years now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
V-Power aand the like will probably make a very slight difference on engines like the KV6, but it's really turbo-charged Jap imports where it's a necessity. A lot of them are mapped from the factory to run on 98+ RON, and on anything less they run like a bag of spanners on boost.

·
Registered
213 Posts
ive used shell vpower and tesco 99ron and i get the same mpg from them as i do with the cheapo 95ron probly cos when its full of vpower or tesco 99ron i tend to find my right foot gets heavy but if i drive it steady then yes i seem to get a extra 3-5 mpg more form vpower or tesco's 99ron

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
thorney motorsport vauxhall main dealers and tuners conducted the most extensive test on this topic, they ran 2 cars, an mr2 and a bmw m3 csl on 95 ron for 3 months rollering the car regularly and then repeated the test using tesco 99 and shell vpower, tesco 99 shell showed the best gains and was a massive 40 bhp up on the m3 csl compared to the 95 ron rubbish, full write up inc roller graphs on their website.
If you want your horse to run the fastest, dont feed it cheap fodder.!!
Ask anyone who runs seriously at santa pod what fuel they use .........i guarantee no'one will say 95 ron ,lol

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I run either shell optimax or Tesco 99 in my MPS as the sticker on the inside of the filler cap says 98 octane or above only

·
Registered
976 Posts
V power all the way. I get much less miles
out of a tank on it tho. Main thing is power. I did some tests on a private road, 90-100mph on 95 cheap cack it took 6.5seconds on v power it took 4.2. Says it all for me. Better for th engine, smoother power! The kv6 has knock sensors on it so it will react to the better fuel and you will notice a difference.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
We have always used Super unleaded

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
I've been testing this for years and hand on heart it really is as good as it says it is.

I done to tests and repeated both an got the same reuslts getting 25/40 more miles to a set amount when changing fuels.

£30 Normal = 130/145 miles
£30 Vpower = 150/165 miles

£60 (full tank) Normal = 170/180 miles
£60 (full tank) Vpower = 300/310 miles

I never use anything but the premium fules like Vpower due to the improved performance and MPG advantages.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
£30 Normal = 130/145 miles
£30 Vpower = 150/165 miles

£60 (full tank) Normal = 170/180 miles
£60 (full tank) Vpower = 300/310 miles

I never use anything but the premium fules like Vpower due to the improved performance and MPG advantages.
Your figures don't make sense to me . . . on normal fuel you only get 30 more miles for a full tank compared to a half tank. :confused:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts