MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I posted a while back about the gears in my ZS 180 getting progressively harder to get into gear, and it's got worse to the point where I basically cannot drive the car for fear of causing some kind of accident at a roundabout!

I have tried the usual things of lubricating the throw out bearing release arm etcetera - but I am guessing the hydraulics are shot from the tens of posts there have been on here as it has made no difference.

Messaged Sheddist (well sent an email, inbox was full) back in February but heard no response - could anyone who might know be able to let me know if he even makes the kits anymore?

I would MUCH rather get one of them kits than spend hundreds on the OE gear for it to fail again down the line, supposed to be driving to france soon!

Kind regards, and thanks for any help in advance!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
He is still making the kits.

Have you had a look at the slave cylinder mounting bracket, as they can crack and distort which causes problems, and can be replaced pretty cheaply, it would keep you mobile until the Sheddist kit turns up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya thanks for the reply, good to know he is still making them, guess i'll have to just keep waiting, but I don't know if he even got my original message as haven't actually heard anything back at all :(

I will check out the bracket again, it looked ok to me (checking against a picture reference of someone elses that is), no visible cracks I could see but haven't looked from the bottom-up yet, do you know at what part of the bracket it commonly fails/splits?

I need to check the master bracket too as I have not checked that yet.

As for replacing the slave bracket, better to do as a matter of course anyway?! I see that sheddist's kit has no use for it, but if mine is on the wane I would rather spend the money on an OE bracket that will at least last... even if while I wait for him to get back to me.

Should I be able to replace the bracket _carefully_ without disturbing the hydraulics of the slave too much?

Thanks again much appreciated

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've seen them crack by the welds.

You won't need to disturb the hydraulics at all.

I would only replace it if there is a definite problem with it, it often helps to get someone to operate the clutch pedal while you have look to see exactly whats happening at the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
not that it helps you to much but i got a kit of him in feb so i fell lucky, someone said he goes away a lot with work hope all goes well worth the wait

1 - 7 of 7 Posts