MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

just got the sheddist clutch kit through post and although i have basic diy knowledge on cars(servicing,brake disc pad change ect ect)i was wondering if anyone could help me in tellin me if this is an easy job,i no i have the instructions but when do with the clutch i get a little over worried that im attepting something out of my league,my local mechanic said its gunna cost about £100 to fit witch i would like to use to get me new discs and pads,i will if can do it attemp it on sunday.

cheers

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
hi all

just got the sheddist clutch kit through post and although i have basic diy knowledge on cars(servicing,brake disc pad change ect ect)i was wondering if anyone could help me in tellin me if this is an easy job,i no i have the instructions but when do with the clutch i get a little over worried that im attepting something out of my league,my local mechanic said its gunna cost about £100 to fit witch i would like to use to get me new discs and pads,i will if can do it attemp it on sunday.

cheers
I am sure there will be someone in the Brighton Eastbourne area who can give you a hand and put your mind at ease.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response,wish i did no someone i the area thats done this,if i could get some help from someone that has done this in my area then bonus if you no anyone???

·
19,410 Posts
The instruction disk is very good but if you are not comfortable with the work then better get some help if needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how did you find it to do?like i said tho i have had some experiance on cars,done few clutch changes but that was about 15 years ago on renault 5 turbo and a renault 19 16v so not really done much since and having a **** back due to motorbike crash few years back dont help but willing to give it agao even if takes me day or so,got the tools just little rusty

·
19,410 Posts
how did you find it to do?like i said tho i have had some experiance on cars,done few clutch changes but that was about 15 years ago on renault 5 turbo and a renault 19 16v so not really done much since and having a **** back due to motorbike crash few years back dont help but willing to give it agao even if takes me day or so,got the tools just little rusty
I woke up one morning and the Wife had the job half done.

The worst and longest part of the Job was the bleeding.:yup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my misses still thinks a spanner is someone thick!so no chance of her being able to do,if anyone no's of anyone in my area then great,gunna give it go on sunday/monday so maybe it will all come back to me,thanks for reply's but again if anyone around my way got the kit fitted,funny thing is ive seen 3 zs180 mk1's in my area,2 blue and 1 yellow not including mine so surely someone is on here that lives in my area,newhaven east sussex that is.

cheers
lee

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I am awaiting on the sheddist clutch kit i emailed him a couple of weeks ago but i know he is a very busy guy, but from what i hear its a must upgrade for the 180 so i thought its time to get one. Peace of mind aswell knowing that one day your not gonna lose your clutch while sitting at the lights or something :lol:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have zero experience of car maintenance and I managed to fit it with help from my Father. The difficult bits were separating the master cylinder mount from the bulkhead (the grommet had 'fused' it to the metalwork.) Finding a suitable tool to remove the slave cylinder mount from the gearbox (the ratchets we had were not up to the job), and threading the pipework from one end to the other.

It took us a LOT longer than other people on here have stated, possibly because we didn't have all the correct tools, but most probably due the fact that neither of us are mechanics!

Allow yourself plenty of time and you should be fine!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
my misses still thinks a spanner is someone thick!so no chance of her being able to do,if anyone no's of anyone in my area then great,gunna give it go on sunday/monday so maybe it will all come back to me,thanks for reply's but again if anyone around my way got the kit fitted,funny thing is ive seen 3 zs180 mk1's in my area,2 blue and 1 yellow not including mine so surely someone is on here that lives in my area,newhaven east sussex that is.

cheers
lee
Have fitted one of these a few years ago,excellent bit of kit,the original is a pathetic item in comparison.

Best if you take your time,have the correct tools,dont kink the copper pipe and buy a brake bleeding kit or one way bleed hose,cos this is what can take a bit of time.And enough brake fluid...getting boring now I will close...

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
I woke up one morning and the Wife had the job half done.

The worst and longest part of the Job was the bleeding.:yup:
+1...unfortunately no the missus doing it part :(

Looks like I will be helping do another one as my mates clutch has went pop so finally got him to get the sheddist kit as his went about 2 years ago and the daft ****** went an bought oe lol. This time he has seen sense though:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
you still having problems dude... if it can wait Im free on wed/ thurs all day it that helps.. if not its gonna be nxt sunday... if your system will hold that long. I fit mine in about 2 hours inc the bleeding.. and Im only 40 mins from you.

·
Flying the Flag
212 Posts
Have you tried Sterling in Eastbourne? I'd be interested to hear how much they charge as I'm going to get them to do mine in a few weeks.

For cheapness, if you want a garage to do them for you then try Motors and Mowers on the cradle hill industrial estate in Seaford, they are very good on prices.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as for motors and mowers that is a def,stan who works there is what i call "a person who doesnt no one end of the spanner than the other"i used to work there along time ago and the work they lost by ******ing stuff up and delays,thanks anyway but def give them a miss,darren at cradle hill just next door to cradle hill motors is the best mechanic around but very busy so ill try to do on monday and go from there.

cheers

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
The difficult bits were separating the master cylinder mount from the bulkhead (the grommet had 'fused' it to the metalwork.)
I had that problem too. Had to cut it with a sharp knife in the end.

Getting in and out of the footwell was a nightmare as well. Sure I broke a few ribs.:lol:

·
Flying the Flag
212 Posts
as for motors and mowers that is a def,stan who works there is what i call "a person who doesnt no one end of the spanner than the other"i used to work there along time ago and the work they lost by ******ing stuff up and delays,thanks anyway but def give them a miss,darren at cradle hill just next door to cradle hill motors is the best mechanic around but very busy so ill try to do on monday and go from there.

cheers
Really? thats interesting, before I found Sterling (who are excellent, fast and knowledgeable but rather expensive) I used them for all my MG's and Rovers. They only once messed up and although it took a while they did end up taking the hit themselves so we didn't get screwed over.

I don't intend on owning anything other than MGR cars so I wont have need to go anywhere but Sterling but I would previously have recommended Motors and Mowers so interesting to hear what you said!

·
Registered
510 Posts
you still having problems dude... if it can wait Im free on wed/ thurs all day it that helps.. if not its gonna be nxt sunday... if your system will hold that long. I fit mine in about 2 hours inc the bleeding.. and Im only 40 mins from you.
You didn't want his help then as he has offered?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts