MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

brought the sheddist clutch kit last week and installed ok but seem to be having some probs with the pedal,i have bled it approx 2hrs over all,maybe more and it has been fine for 3-4 days but tonight i went fast and when i went to change gear i couldnt as the pedal just went to the floor,i then pumped it and it was fine till i got home,turned the engine of and checked it with my hand by pushing the clutch down,the clutch then went staright to the floor,i let go and it was fine,i cant install the stop on the pedal as im using the long thing as mk1 mgzs180 and its wound all the way up just to get it into gear!i have checked the fluid and thats fine,no leaks,i have checked the fluid when having someone press the clutch down and it doesnt rise,as stated tho i have bled for a long time and have found no more air comin out at all,i have installed to the disk sheddist sent with the kit and found quit easy apart from this problem witch has stumped me,if someone has any ideas then please please help,am i missing something out or not done something right.

cheers in advance
lee:daft:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had a few issues with mine before - set it up wrong though so check the following:
You can push the slave rod in with the pedal at the top.
Try bleeding from the slave cyl, this sorted the symptoms for me.
I thought I had no leaks but moving the slave boot showed loads of black gunk. It's worth checking under there.

Good luck. Last thing I tried was new cylinders and then setting the pedal up correctly.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Two of us bled our kit.

One pumping the pedal whilst I kept the bleed nipple open and kept topping up the pot. Took no time at all to shift the air in the pipe.:)

What happens if you wind the clevis pin the other way? And have you tried the shorter one of the 2?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i wind the slevis pin all the way back i cant get inti gear,as for the shorter one i presume if i try that i will not have anuff room again to get in to gear as using the long one at the moment!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
My pedal went to the floor upon initial bleeding and stayed there. It had to be lifted back up each time but once all air was expunged it was good. I also recall experimenting with the clevis to get things right.Main thing is to ensure that you have the free travel at the slave cylinder push rod end when you're done.

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
This is bugging me as well.

A few basics:
Brake fluid cannot be compressed

so,

If then the pedal is pushed, and fluid is being pumped then it is either going to the slave cylinder or to the reservoir. If it is the reservoir, then the fluid in there will rise as the pedal is pushed. This is not happening. So, the fluid must be going to the slave cylinder. If the system has been bled, then the clutch should operate OK, if there is still air in there the bite point will be on the floor.

So, as we know this hydraulic system can be a pain to bleed. Basic rules for bleeding:
1. Do not let the fluid in the reservoir drop too far. If air is sucked in, then it will need to be bled out.

2. When pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir, do it gently to stop air bubbles forming. If any are seen in the fluid, wait for them to dissipate out.

3. Bleeding is best done with 2 people, the person with the spanner on the nipple calling the shots. Open nipple, slowly depress pedal, close nipple, slowly raise pedal.

4. Once fluid is pumping through, then a slightly different approach also works quite well:
Depress pedal
Open nipple
Close nipple
Raise pedal.

This is very good for bleeding trapped air out of the slave.

Do not reuse fluid unless it is 100% airbubble free.

A few other checks:
Make sure the master cylinder is securly attached tot he bulkhead.
make sure slave cylinder bracket is seated properly on the gearbox.
Be 100% sure there are no fluid leaks.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
The way i did it.

Had one of my lads jump in the car.

Him - Pump, Pump, Hold on the pedal.
Me - Open bleed nipple and make sure its closed again before he runs out of pedal travel.

Repeat until no more bubbles come from the nipple, this is also the way i do my brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts