MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People keep asking me, when they find out i have an F, "Isn't it unreliable?" Well, Scarlet has had her fair share of "niggles" (and a new engine, but that wasn't a reliability issue!!!!!;) ) But, after coming up to 6 years of ownership and 87,000 miles she is still going strong and has been the most reliable car i have ever had.

Anyway, as a treat i decided to buy her a set of fitted luggage from JazBags. They should arrive mid March and i will get a lot of use out of them this year, with a tour round Brittany in June and a run to Berlin in September. :D

G

·
Good news Andrew - SF - must have been one of the first "F"'s?

What was the reason for your major failure - engine?

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
XPower Admin! said:
Good news Andrew - SF - must have been one of the first "F"'s?

What was the reason for your major failure - engine?
VIN number is 4240, ordered in Dec 1995, delivered on 24th Feb 1996

Officially i had a valve shear (one in a million occurrence!), but the real reason was "over tinkering" !!!;)

Basically i had a stage 2 gas flowed head fitted, and had a series of problems ranging from coolant and oil usage to the eventual 'big bang' :eek:

One of the standard Rover exhaust valves sheared, the head of the valve bounced around the cylinder causing no end of damage, eventually shattering the liner and disintegrating the piston. These bits were expelled into the exhaust system, causing the death of the catalyst and the resulting backfire re-inducted the shrapnel back into the other cylinders - nasty! :eek:

As it was a standard valve that sheared, the supplier of the head didn't want to know. As the engine was modified, Rover also didn't want to know. Therefore, i paid for a new engine and sacrificed the body kit i was saving up for.:(

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts