MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Audi on Pole but our boys are chasing hard!

Shame we can't watch it over in the UK!!!

Tom Kristensen waited for the right opportunity and then nailed a flying lap to take the pole for Sunday's American Le Mans Series Grand Prix of Sonoma presented by Fosters at Sears Point Raceway.

Jon Field of Dublin, Ohio, won the pole for the LMP 675 class for smaller Prototypes with a fast lap of 1:25.319 in a Lola EX257-AER MG. The pole was Field's first in ALMS competition. He scored his first race win in March in the Sebring 12-hour event.

The Knighthawk car also qualified well in 6th place.

Click Here for the line up from the IMSA site

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
3 secs slower

It would seem that the MG-Lola is some 3 secs slower than the Audi's. This being the case with the the Field MG at Sears Point and Blundell at Le Mans pre-qualifying recently.

Jim

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
The race has just finished :

Knighthawk : 22nd Overall / 2nd LMP675 Class / 73 laps
(Steve Knight / Mel Hawkins / Chad Block)

Intersport : 23rd Overall / 3rd LMP675 Class / 72 laps
(Jon Field / Rick Sutherland)

The LMP675 Class winning Lola of Archangel Motorsport completed 75 laps.

The Knighthawk car was lapping some 11 seconds quicker than the class winning Lola, and at one point was about 10 or 11 laps behind! The Intersport car was lapping 7 seconds quicker than the Knighthawk car!

On lap 55, the Intersport entry posted a fastest lap time of 1 minute 26.247 seconds - and if I can read my lap times correctly, it was the fastest lap overall!!! Even beating each of the Audis' fastest laps!

Shame there weren't a few more laps to overcome the cars earlier delays.

Kind regards,

'Extreme!'

G

·
Extreme

Thanks for that - just been over to imsaracing.net Would seem that rain may have affected electrics. Just like to say, the day I went to Snetteron I witnessed some of the worst weater in the UK for a long time and "Sport & Racing" cars were NOT affected by the rain. KnightHawk must have been so unlucky!

Back to Sears Point - disappointing result on the one hand, but as we predicted if these cars are reliable they will be an awesome contender at Le Mans on the other. A lot can happen in 24 hours! :D :D

Signed

Jerry - extremely confident Le Mans fan!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
A respectable performance

2nd and 3rd in class isn't bad at all particularly as they are not "works" machines. Rain would seem to be the achillies heel of the EX257. Hope it's scorching at Le Mans this year. 2000 was like standing next to a Bar-b-que.

Jim

MG 123

1 - 6 of 6 Posts