MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going down for the Saturday night special. Its RWYB till 9pm on the Saturday with overnight camping and normal RwYB on the Sunday!!

I'm holding my MG Drag Racing Club 2009 wind up meeting on this weekend so we wil have a few MG's on site for the Saturday fun and Saturday night BBQ and lash up :)

Anyone fancy tagging along??

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Surely someone is interested in this:)

If only it was nearer for us

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Surely someone is interested in this:)

If only it was nearer for us
I am interested, but I need to get some better tyres first and I've spent quite a bit of £££ recently with Rally Matt.............:slap:

Maybe I'll have to bend my flexible friend a bit more....cos I wanna see if I can get low 15's or better as I discussed with Eddie.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eddie!

I read that info with interest. But I took another route first as you know my doing more to relieve air pressure under the rear deck as you saw recently. It seems to have helped as I crossed the line at 120mph with no back end drifting. But the track was crap at the pod on our last day out as i kept losing it in 2nd gear at about 80-90mph as the track was too slippy.

I'm keeping my power settings the same for this Saturday night special weekend. If the track will hold onto my rear tyres I reckon I'm in with a shout at the 10's....

I've spoken to Paul Venners (Pod DJ / commentator) who also builds chassie's and cages. And he will be installing a full approved cage for me in Sept / October when the MGB is off the road for Winter. But I have to remove all the windows so its not a quick job.

After seeing **** Rodgers tumble at the Retro Show in the Cortina I reckon its time the MG had some more metal over my head. **** rolled the Tina at 110mph across the line. On a good day I'm doing over 120mph across the line while fighting to keep her straight.

3 of my 6 passes at my last day out saw me badly out of shape at the top end of 2nd gear which is well over 80mph. If I had kept my foot in I could well have well gone into the wall. My run in the left lane was the worst.

So the Saturday night special will be last 2 day attempt at a 10 second pass for 2009....If the track is good I'm going for it. If the track is bad I'll probably back off and bottle out to fight another day. I wont let my Son run the car either if the track is slippery. Much to his disgust :)

·
What are vis valves?
3,313 Posts
why is it nobody will travel anywhere? or get up early? i drove 250 miles each way to watch paul luti race last weekend.

pod is fairly centralised and certainly isnt to far from kent etc.

not sure if il make this one, but maybe october

·
1,152 Posts
Gonna have to miss this one now guys. Prior engagement with SWMBO visiting her family in Manchester this weekend.:bah:

Damn, was looking forward to a trip to Pod again - even though I ahaven't bought any new tyres yet.

Ah well another time.

·
19,410 Posts
why is it nobody will travel anywhere? or get up early? i drove 250 miles each way to watch paul luti race last weekend.

pod is fairly centralised and certainly isnt to far from kent etc.

not sure if il make this one, but maybe october
Ross it not very centralised at all:) Unless you live in the east/west midland or the south.

The centre of England/Scotland /Wales If you are including the orkneys is Halwhistle in Northumberland if you dont include the orkneys then its The Ribble Valley in Lancashire or so they say.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a great weekend!!

I ran three 10's....

So I'm happy as can be :)

·
19,410 Posts
Wow and well done :)

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
good going perry.
Shows the advantage of rwd over front drive as Ed had same top speed but was in the 12's!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Chaps!!

I've got jaw ache from the big silly grin I've had on my face all day :)

Now its time to do some more tweaks over the Winter so I can gun for that next goal of a 10.5 second pass.

How much more will this old Rover V8 take??

Thanks as always for your kind words of support. I love showing folk that MG is still a force to be reckoned with.

Today I was asked why I dont just shove a big Chev or Ford V8 in the MGB and do some serious times?? This was by a person who had not seen the MGB run!

I asked what the 8 litre Yank motor was doing in his car. The reply was thus " I'm running regular high 12's now, whats your best in this thing"

My reply was "I was hoping for decent times this weekend, but we have had to make do with a poor track and high 10's all day" :)

Sometimes you just cant resist chucking water on a bonfire eh??

·
19,410 Posts
I bet his jaw dropped when you told him your times

·
1,152 Posts
Nice one Perry. Finally a string of 10's to back up your hard work.:)

Time for a 'charger to top that battered old Rover? Or maybe a 5.2 block like Tricky's TR7?

Sounds like Steve had a blast as well running a 14.4 in his Skoda Rapid.

I will try to get up for the next RWYB in September with some better tyres and see what I can run.:dddc:

·
1,152 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts