MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Have purchased a ZS 180 2.5 weeks ago from Apple MG in Gravesend, since owning the car I have done 200 easy miles in it (only around town, no long journies) - and the following has happened:

1) Inlet plenum start rattling like crazy, power way down, and economy - wasn't present when I did a small test drive of the vehicle, started about 12-15 miles ago.
2) Clutch has started slipping like crazy and occasional hard to get into gear.
3) Exhaust now has a blow in it

I understand from reading a lot of information here and on mg-r forums that points 1 & 2 are common, point 3 obviously could happen to any motor.

The car is October 2004, MK1 ZS 180 - 65000 miles exactly (64800 when purchased).

It has gone into their servicing garage today to be 'inspected' and to see if the 'warranty covers the work'

The car came with a 6 month 'silver' customer care warranty, which I have been reading bad things about all over the place, so my question is, should I be able to enforce them to make the repairs to points 1 & 2 under the sale of goods act, being that the vehicle must be fit for proper use, and last a reasonable amount of time.

I understand I should be able to reject the vehicle as well, or ask for a reduction in the sale price (which was already paid two weeks ago, £2000).

If anyone here has any experience in this kind of area, your input would be most welcome!

Kind Regards

·
Registered
474 Posts
Your rights and grounds for complaint will depend on the Bill of Sale issued by Apple MG (what do the T&Cs say) and what your extended warranty says too (in terms of items covered).

All goods sold must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, but not necessarily free from fault if they are second hand (for instance some wear and tear to components would be expected). Due to this, I'd say the problems with clutch and exhaust are unlikely to be covered by the warranty...

I'd see this as more of a case of Apple MG not wanting to take back a lemon - in my view, they (not the warranty company) should be held liable, as it is highly unlikely that these faults did not exist at point of sale (although may not have been noticed by you) and therefore Apple MG should have taken reasonable action to ensure you were aware of the pre-existing faults. In my view, pursue Apple MG with a firm and reasoned stance - prepare to shoulder barge if you have to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, no faults were given at time of sale, in fact they even said they had it serviced (but could provide no record of what was done, but to 'ring the garage they will have the details' - which now seems even more dodgy.).

The amended sale of goods act (which also covers 2nd hand cars from a dealer) states:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended - 2003) says: if goods break within the first six months after purchase then there is a presumption the goods were faulty when sold.

This meaning the onus is on the garage to prove the faults were not in existence, and they cannot just state that 'you must have caused it'.

If it is indeed wear of the clutch plate/lining - this might not be picked up in a short test drive , but it should still be fit for purpose after sale, I would argue that 2 weeks and 200 miles of easy driving is not sufficient time for the wear and tear aspect to come in, and the fault was likely there.

It could also be the notorious hydraulics, of which wear and tear doesn't come into it anyway.

Warranty clearly states: Mechanical failure of following components:

etc,etc,etc
Inlet Manifold - although I guess if they were arguing the toss it doesn't say 'inlet manifold upper plenum'.

I am just rather annoyed at the moment after forking out £2k for a car from a dealer (For the reason the car has a full stack of service history/mot's etc) - for these issues to then happen within 2 weeks of me having the car and barely using it.

Exhaust... well I can fix that myself - in fact I can fix all of it myself, I just shouldn't _have_ to.

Many thanks for the response, much appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well credit where it is due, Apple are going to replace the inlet manifold with a new part at no cost to myself. The other components have been checked out ok.

After hearing a lot of horror stories and preparing myself for the worst, it's good to see there are still some credible car sales people out there.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good to hear and the response I would have expected from a reputable dealer. :)

Hope you get it back all sorted very soon.

·
MG6 GT TSE & MGZS 180
265 Posts
I've only heard good things about Apple (my 1 experience with them so far was good and they were very honest) :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
fair play to them, a new inlet manifold is over £500 even in the trade

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya,

Thanks for all the responses, good to hear they are reputable as I had originally thought.

Yes the belts have all been done (late 2010) - and the car did come with a very full comprehensive service history, thermostat housing had been done, all cambelts, etc. Servicing was never missed and the car is in VERY good condition bar the niggles.

One of the reasons I was willing to stump up 2k for the car when models can be fetched for far less, was because of that history and being from a dealer there should be protection for this sort of thing.

So all in all, yep, fair play to them - I know how pricey the part is, of course I am sure they do too, but they have put it down to just being 'one of them things'.

Cheers all

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You would have them by the short and curly's anyway. That would be deemed as faulty at the time of sale by any small claims process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts