MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the other forum, i was asked to try and get a picture of the underside of the radiator. Bleedin difficult i can tell you, this is definitely a job for when the car is up on ramps or over an inspection pit. Anyway, this is the reason for the rather blurry photo below, the best one of the 6 i took! :mad:

Basically, i was asked to check my rad as, being 6 years old, it should show signs of this problem and it does. But IMO it is not a major case of rust, rather a little surface corrosion. Anyway, here is the picture...

Attachments

G

·
SF

Never even thought about the rads position. I guess its not in the best of places. I know that on the Elise during the early days the pipes linking the rad to the engine (front to rear of car), were prone to seperating and depositing the coolant on the ground.

Not heard of this problem with the "F".

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The F is pretty 'rust proof', but there are some vulnerable areas that need the occasional inspection.

Stone chips on the windscreen surround. It appears that this area isn't as well protected from the dreaded tin worm and any stone chips here should be treated ASAP to prevent your P+J looking a little sad.

Side air intake fixing screws. Early Fs had mild steel screws to secure the side air intake grilles, these went rusty in as little a 6 months. Later models have these replaced with SS ones.

The main areas under the body are the exhaust nuts (replace these with Mike Satur's cat saver nuts) and the coolant pipes as these can also corrode, Mike also does replacement pipes, he's a busy, busy man!

The radiator is the newest area to be of concern and the subframes are showing signs of surface corrosion on some early Fs.

Of all of them, the coolant pipes and the radiator are probably the most important places to check, as a leak here can lead to an HGF.

Subframes are pretty sturdy and any surface rust can be treated with a wire brush, some rust treatment and a good load of underseal. Cat nuts are only an issue if you want to change the exhaust system. If you have even the remotest posibility that you do, then get them replaced at the very earliest opportunity.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts