MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, probably by Sheddist but as I have some pictures...

1. Just behind the front mud flap mud and leaves collect at the bottom of the wing, I have removed the side skirt to get this view. Of course with all that in there it never dries out and so provides ideal conditions for rust.

2. I've now removed the front wing to uncover some rust. The problem here is that the wings are bolted to the body at the factory before they are painted, despite the base coat of paint being applied electrostatically, it cant get into the very thin gap between the wing and body around the bolt holes, water however can seep into the join.

3. I've sanded the area around the bolt hole to remove all the loose paint and the rust behind it, the rust had extended some distance under the paintwork.

4. Treated with rust converter, the area where the zinc plating has disolved away is now clear, and despite thinking I had removed all the rust at stage 3, I can now see I need to remove some more to be sure that its all gone.

It is only the bottom bolt hole where it is always damp that has started to rust, but all the others around the wing are also unpainted so will rust once the zinc plating has gone, it's an easy job to remove the wing and treat them. They are all in hidden areas so there is no need to do a good job with matching the paint colour etc, except for the ones visible under the bonnet there is no need for a colour coat at all. Replace the bolts and washers with stainless ones when refitting.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Found a lot of crap there when mine was only about 2 years old, oddly enough passenger side was clear despite that being the side that goes through most puddles etc.

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
When I fitted my mud flaps I cleaned that area and then after fitting the flaps seald it with silicon sealant to stop it happening again. I found a few patches of very bad rust underneath. I'll post up piccies of it befoire I treat it later in the year.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
I dont have mud flaps but im alwasy concerned about crap getting behing the skirts and encouraging rust. Looks like mudflaps do prevent mess all over down the sides but can cause other problems if left unchecked.

My cars only an 04 plate but I can see minor bubbling from rust around the boot key hole. Not good!

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have mud flaps but im alwasy concerned about crap getting behing the skirts and encouraging rust. Looks like mudflaps do prevent mess all over down the sides but can cause other problems if left unchecked.
The mud flaps help significantly as they stop the salt spray off the wheels getting in there. The problem is that the metal is unpainted, the only way to stop it rusting is to clean it up and paint it.

TurboZed said:
seald it with silicon sealant to stop it happening again
I did notice when I washed the excess rust convertor off that water running off the windscreen ends up in that area after running through holes in the inner wing, stopping it with silicone might not be as easy as you expected! Be interesting to see the pics.

My cars only an 04 plate but I can see minor bubbling from rust around the boot key hole. Not good!
The paint on mine seems a little thin in places at the rear end too! "Minor bubbling" doesn't stay minor for very long, if you want it to last then get it fixed. In general the ZS is pretty good for rust, it's worth fixing the few problem areas.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I found all the collected crap on our mk1 when I fitted the mud flaps. Surprising how much was actually in there.

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
I did notice when I washed the excess rust convertor off that water running off the windscreen ends up in that area after running through holes in the inner wing, stopping it with silicone might not be as easy as you expected! Be interesting to see the pics.
Oh dear!!!!!! I better take the flaps off and have a look again! Might be a pond behind there:agh:

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
I found all the collected crap on our mk1 when I fitted the mud flaps. Surprising how much was actually in there.
I have to agree there it was quite shocking:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts