MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been changing the cam belts on my ZS over the last week and since I had some spare plugs (excess from a previous service) I thought I might as well take the old out while I did the belts (to make cranking the engine easier) and put some new in when everything was sorted.

On removing one of the coils, I noticed that it was pretty corroded/rusted, but since I was dealing with the belts primarily I decided I'd deal with it afterwards.

I figure I'll be needing a new coil, but just thought I'd post about it in case anyone else has encountered this.

My suspicion is that there's water leaking in from the hole for the windscreen washer jet, which is located on the bonnet almost directly above the coil.

My worry right now, though (and any suggestions or advice on this would be very welcome!) is that my car has been out in the rain for most of yesterday and today, with no plug sealing the bore into the cylinder, and the coil displaced enough that air (and worryingly, here, water too) could possibly now have made its way into the cylinder.

I just went out and put in the new plugs, and took this pic:

The coil, as I had left it (sitting in its hole), was facing such that the plug was upward, and working on the car today I noticed that the plug has filled with water. Also, in the pic you can just see a pool of water in the recess for the rocker cover bolt.

So the likelihood of water in that cylinder looks annoyingly high...! Argh!!! It's one problem after another... lol! :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
I take it your changing the oil? me, i would spin it over with the plug(s) out to expel any water from the bore etc, change the oil , refit plug(s) etc and all should be well, oh and fix that leaky washer..:yup:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
as above....and just clean off the rust with some WD40 and refit.

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Was this the first plug on the rear bank? Mine was the same. Whenever the cambelt has been off or changed, it is well worth turning the engine over by hand with the plugs out before cranking with the starter. It is agood check to avoid bent valves if something has slipped or not been put back together properly.

In the "old days" it was good practice to spin the engine on the starter with the plugs out after the hand turn to blow the s**t out. With modern ECU and plug top coils this is not a good idea as if the coil is switched by the ECU without an properly earthed plug connected, the HT can flash over into the coil primary, frying your ECU.

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the replies, guys!

Hey Loz!!! How's it going? ;):) hehe!

Yeah, I've got some new oil ready to go in. I've just been waiting on a new filter to arrive. :)

Turning the engine with the plugs out sounds like an easy fix, I like it. :) Cheers!

Sheddist - Yes, the very same plug. I've cranked the engine by hand a few times since fitting the belt to make sure there's no resistance from any piston-valve contact, and all seems well.

The ECU should be OK if I leave the coils are unplugged, though, right? The back EMF would be created by the (unplugged) coil alone, right? Or am I forgetting another part of the system? (It's late... my brain started denying me access about 2 hours ago... lol!)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hiya Tom, good to see ya still having fun and games with the zed :MG: lets hope ya have more luck with cambelts than i have with sunstrips eh? :yup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts