MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I used to have a R416 and wouldn't agree with what was said.

Yes, the handling is 'softer' than a ZS, but it's not designed for performance.

The review states that the car had 6 miles on the clock. Who in their right mind would thrash a new engine!!!!

The reviewer says that he would pay a few thousand more and get a civic type R. Even better would be to pay LESS extra and get a ZS.

G

·
I know the guy (Rich), earlier in the year he ran a EVO VI and a 340R, just bought a Caterham R500, so he is a confirmed petrolhead!

Obviously he didn't like the car, I can't say as I like the 45 either, but the ZS is a different story! :D

As is usual we all have different opinions on cars and he's obviously at one end of the spectrum - DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE! It must be a wind-up - can't think why he would be so destructive!

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK so he didn't like the car, but did he have to drag it down that far?? 0 to 60 in 32 seconds , he is talking out of his hole, the rubbery gearchange ???? unheard of in a 1.4 k series, it's anything but rubbery. His attitude stinks and MG Rover might loose a few sales from the ****e that he wrote. Thank him for helping the british motr industriy, hope he's pleased with himself.

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
"You can probably see the seats -notice how they look like giant lilos. Thats exactly what they feel like as well when sitting in them."
To criticise a 45's seats, is to criticise a 75's seats as they are the same, so I think it all has to be a wind-up or he is an anti British idiot. Perhaps if he'd driven the Honda equivalent he wouldn't have hit so hard, if at all.

G

·
I agree - I wonder why he's so destructive.

Without MGR the other cars he raves about would be engine less - Elise - Caterham - 340R

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It was once said that a million monkeys, banging on a million typewriters would eventually produce the equal to the works of Shakespeare, thanks to the internet, we know that this is not the case. All over the web, especially in the cars pages there are huge ego's waiting to be massaged, and persuing wannabe motoring hack ambition's and it's not long before you find such chronic ineptitude such as this on display.

I have the honour of being objective here, as I have not driven a 45 over any length of time in order to evaluate whatever the, perceived or otherwise, criticisms this chap brings to the fore. In a lazily-written, stuff of the sixth form-common room mag article running on the grammatical equivalent of a bungee jump, all that seems to flow is a previous deep-seated dislike of the 45, pandering to what he believes is a populist viewpoint of the product. Using psuedo-American terminology it is as clear as a bell that he wants more than anything to gain creedence from his peers and what he assumes, and assumes only will be their view too. If, as Jerry mentions, this chap is used to some rice rockets, he has blown any shred of credibility away by actually failing to make any distinctions clear between, say, an EVO or whatever he has driven and a 45, and should weigh the car with it's direct peers on a plain balance. That's what reviewing a car is all about, chum.
I had spent a little time on looking for "I" strain. His overuse of the impersonal pronoun, is, however, commendably low. Driven by his desire to sensationalise (Sorry- Anthony Ffrench constant of CAR does this a lot better than you) any percieved or actual shortcomings, he has, for me and many others no doubt, added two negatives and made a positive-actually made one want to drive a 45 to compare notes. And that will get some into the dealerships, torpedoing his intentions.
So relax. This guy will stay in his corner of the web and continue to pontificate on such matters to his maximum frustration and the minimum of exposure. What an ar5e. I hope he crashes.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Interestingly enough I was watching a motoring programme on one of the cable channels earlier today (think it was called Turbo).

They were reviewing the Honda Civic Aerodeck (estate). Very positive about the level of fittings and accessories and general interior layout. Whilst watching son commented that it was just like my ZS's dashboard and centre console.

Wonder if the comments would have been the same if it had an MGR badge on the front?

G

·
>"In a lazily-written, stuff of the sixth form-common room mag >article running on the grammatical equivalent of a bungee jump,"

nothing wrong with that... its not supposed to be Thomas Mann you know. Its casual reading in a casual "web/bbs" style.

>"all that seems to flow is a previous deep-seated dislike of the >45, pandering to what he believes is a populist viewpoint of the >product."

you make me sound like a psychopath with a murderous chip on his shoulder ...LOL. Nothing against the 45, I just thought it was a bad car and made a webpage out of it to add some more content to my site and add some more humour... nothing more complex and sinister than that I am afraid.

>"Using psuedo-American terminology it is as clear as a bell that >he wants more than anything to gain creedence from his peers >and what he assumes, and assumes only will be their view too."

Strange, more half-baked pop psychology ??? I can assure you that I know myself well enough to garuantee that my site is not an attempt to make the whole world love me.

>"If, as Jerry mentions, this chap is used to some rice rockets, he >has blown any shred of credibility away by actually failing to >make any distinctions clear between, say, an EVO or whatever >he has driven and a 45, and should weigh the car with it's direct >peers on a plain balance. That's what reviewing a car is all >about, chum."

Thing is I do just that, but do not dwell too long on it because I am afraid it requires no detailed explanation or argument. Cars like the Golf, the Leon, the Audi A2, Honda Civic and a whole host of others that I have driven are far better cars imo than the bog standard Rover 45. Why don't you drive one and find out for yourself.

I have no doubt that the ZS is a far better car and am well aware of the rave reviews it had. But then the car I hired was nothing like the ZS so no offence should be taken.

>"Driven by his desire to sensationalise any percieved or actual >shortcomings, he has, for me and many others no doubt, added >two negatives and made a positive-actually made one want to >drive a 45 to compare notes. And that will get some into the >dealerships, torpedoing his intentions. "

I find it hard to believe that this is how serious life gets for you. My site is for petrolheads... do you really think that it will create job losses and halt car production within MG ?

>"What an ar5e. I hope he crashes."

Thats unkind.

On balance I apologise if I offended anyone. I really didn't think that the 45 was held in such high regard. Although my article goes a bit over the top with the humour (yes the gearchange throw is not 2 feet long, and the rev counter does work) I still stick by my basic underlying contention that the Rover 45 that I drove was and is a bad car and considerably sub-standard in almost every respect given todays market competition. Sorry if that upsets you as MG enthusiasts but I only report what I find and I dont blindly Brand worship.. if Lotus, Caterham or anyone else for that matter made a bad car then I would have no hesitation in stating so.

True, the 45 may be right for a retired person but IMO they too, would still be better off (in terms of safety, driving pleasure, value for money, features etc..) with a whole host of other cars. If a 65 year old elderly gentleman does ever happen to read my site and end up purchasing a Seat Leon over a 45 as a consequence then IMO I would have done him a favour.

I have had a lot of rection across the internet and will be updating the page with a answer and a selection of some of the more interesting and spirited opinions.

regards

Richard

G

·
LMG - ZS180

Rich

Excellent response - just had a nice Le Mans Green ZS180 turn up on the drive. Better go and see if it drives like a "retired gentlemens car!" See you later! :D

G

·
Jerry - like I said to you, I considered a ZS for my family car as I'm well aware that its held in very high regard & i i'm a sucker for the Q car image. Its obviously nothing like the car I had, just like an EVO7 is nothing like a Lancer Cedia !

have fun & enjoy

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
IMO

Now now gentlemen, that's enough....

We live in a democratic society and it's nice to see such enthusiasm about cars and in all honesty who of us who choose to buy a 45?

BE HONEST

There have been enough views and reviews about the 45 and I think this effort all be it a bit OTT is just one mans opinion, if you drive the best then what impression does it leave of the rest.

I feel this guy has had enough of a kicking and he even came to make his peace, hope he will make good use of the response he got and be little bit more........ well you choose what ever words you want.

180 Boy.

G

·
180 Boy - Spot on.

As Rich pointed out the review was tongue in cheek. Revisiting his website has reminded about Caterhams too. DOH!

Going for a test drive in one this week if poss! :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
ROR.

I withdraw my last words and apologise for any offence. After now seeing your work with the rest of the site, which was very enjoyable, the 45 review does sit somewhat at odds with the rest of your efforts. Hence my opinion that there is a pre-loaded dislike of the car lurking. IMHO this article tends to cheapen your hard work.
There are many other and some better choices in this segment as you correctly point out, but the 45 (Actually a newer chassis than, say, the Pug 406) has at least the flexibility to have morphed easily into the ZS, which I think might have been credited.

G

·
Be a most interesting read, but I imagine your "Mr Sensible" review will not be complementary.

What you need to do now is have a go in the ZS180 and see how different the car is! I'm pleasantly surprised. Which reminds me - the vacuum is now away (whoerr - better delete the word vacuum) and the road beckons! :D Any ZED car reviews I will happily place on the main site Rich!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts