MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Road Tolls

922 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MJ TF 135 
#1 ·
An article on the BBC news website has a title of:Road Tolls Inevitable

Have your say - what do you think this will mean for Britain? And more to the point, do you think the government will go through with it?

G
#2 ·
Controversial Response

Personally, if it means I can get to Manchester in less time then so be it. :D Hopefully, without speed limits and with some sort of lane control, a forlorn hope! :D

It'll get all the border line stuff off the roads, (old Metros and the like), especially if the cars have to go on a "Toll" database. I think there are 5% of cars on the roads today that are not insured or taxed.

So come on Mr Plod, catch these thieves, not the honest motorist, going about their daily grind!

Trouble, is this country seems hell bent on persecuting the motorist. Why don't they just re-invest some of the money on the roads - I don't want a "concrete" Britain - just a system of roads that are in Good order.

Countries such as Italy/France repair roads at night in an attempt to keep the roads open. Surely something like this could be used.

Oooer a whinge. :(

PS. Natalie you will be pleased to see that www.jerryflint.net has had an update!! Also, anyone noticed the new - new banner change - a free sticker for those that spot it!

#3 ·
Jerry - agree with you totally.

Yup, noticed the new banner on xpower-mg.com and also noticed that you've changed the colour of the buttons at the top! Looks better than white....

#8 ·
<Personally, if it means I can get to Manchester in less time then so be it>
sorry jerry but whats good for jerry might not be good for the rest of the country. :D
As someone who works in london i can tell you that the place would grind to a halt if it weren't for the many people who travel from all over the country to work in london.
All tolls are a "tax on jobs" and deter labour mobility.
see tolls for what they are, stealth taxes to prop up inefficent government.

kev

#9 ·
As far as I can see, the only way to make it quicker to get to work is by living closer to work ( or working closer to home).

After commuting over the river Humber last year (and paying £2.40 each way in toll charges) and taking an hour to get to work, I can now get to work in 15 mins at the most !

Used to drive a R400 - guess where the money that I'm saving on bridge fees has gone. Yep I'm driving it !

:D :D :D

#10 ·
<As far as I can see, the only way to make it quicker to get to work is by living closer to work >
that may be the case in some parts of the country but as some of your fellow teachers find out in london, they can't afford local housing.

BTW, John . are we still subsidising that bridge??:D

kev

#11 ·
Kev,
Not sure to what extent the bridge is being subsidised - tolls just gone up again. Glad I don't have to cross the thing every day now, it's being resurfaced and that's causing traffic hold ups most days.

#12 ·
No road tolls here!

I work bout 15 mins away from home and there are no road tolls in my area yet. But the council has found a way to line thier grubby pockets.

Take away the free employee parking in service yard areas.

Now i get charged £4 a day to park in a flooded public multi storey car park about 1/4 mile from my place of work.

What parks in the service yard? All the town centre management cars, without permits!!!!!

Life's a b1tch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.