MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering about what everybody thinks of the huge revival in public interest in MG Rover Group?

Those of you that know me and have seen my post in the MGR Staff Thread know that I work very closely with MGR on a day-to-day basis, as my employer manages around 2,500 of their vehicles. We're talking Company Vehicles, VIP cars. Any MGR you see on soaps, like the upcoming tahiti blue R25 stepspeed that Rita Sullivan will be driving around in in about six weeks time on tv - we supplied. We also run a fleet of around 1,500 demonstration vehicles.

Since the launch of the MG Saloon Range, public interest in MG Rover and their products has been phenomenal. People are snapping up the new vehicles like they're going out of fashion, and can't wait to try them.

A brilliant example of this would be the time that customers have to wait for the MG ZT 190. Normally, customers can expect to wait around 2 weeks for any vehicle.

Despite the fact that we have over 50 MG ZT+ 190s on our fleets at present, customers have to wait 3 months before they can expect to receive the car. We're trying to get more cars out, but there's just not enough to go around!

I've been with my employer since 1998, and can say that no car launch I have seen has ever brought the interest that these new Saloons have brought.

I predict that, providing that MGR can cope with the demand, the company will perform a complete turnaround, and before the end of 2002 will be making a profit again.

I also know that the public interest for the MG TF, considering the reviews in the auto mags, will go through the roof.

People are coming OUT of ***s, Mercs, even Jags to go into Rovers. Proof that the company is attracting the attention it has desvered for so long. Ok, maybe in the past they didn't do that good a job with the cars... the Montego and the Maestro are proof of that.

Now though, they have managed to turn their fortunes around completely. Who would have thought back in May 2000 that we'd be raving about their products? Who, when we're being honest, thought that the company wouldn't last more than 18 months?

The press have got a hell of a lot to answer for!

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
I only hope they can stay independent, it doesn't seem right for the 4th largest economy, the UK, not to have its own biggish car company, whereas the 5th & 6th largest economies, France & Italy, have. Most people seem to think that if Ford took MGR over, it would be OK, it wouldn't. WE MUST KEEP MG ROVER BRITISH OWNED.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Excellent news about the changing perceptions of MG-R. Much has been done, but much still remains to be done.
We can all help here...specifically by listening to collegues, friends, etc when they are talking about changing cars, and promoting the MG-R range to them, quoting some positive reviews and indicating some enthusiast sites. Not to mention the 75 being 5th on JD Power! The arguments about "Old"models are dismissed when you consider that the 45 is on a newer platform than the Pug 406, and the 25 is newer than the Saxo/106.
Looks like we'll have to pay more attention to Coronation St. again then! Alf Roberts, the Late Mayor of Weatherfield was a constant Rover driver, who, B4 the death of the actor Bryan Roberts drove an 820i. I am appauled at the BBC however, as the only prominent MG-R product is a 75 2.0 on Dalziel and Pascoe.

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
Dave Harrison said:
Excellent news about the changing perceptions of MG-R. Much has been done, but much still remains to be done.
We can all help here...specifically by listening to collegues, friends, etc when they are talking about changing cars, and promoting the MG-R range to them, quoting some positive reviews and indicating some enthusiast sites. Not to mention the 75 being 5th on JD Power! The arguments about "Old"models are dismissed when you consider that the 45 is on a newer platform than the Pug 406, and the 25 is newer than the Saxo/106.
Looks like we'll have to pay more attention to Coronation St. again then! Alf Roberts, the Late Mayor of Weatherfield was a constant Rover driver, who, B4 the death of the actor Bryan Roberts drove an 820i. I am appauled at the BBC however, as the only prominent MG-R product is a 75 2.0 on Dalziel and Pascoe.
Fred Elliot drives an 800, Paddy from Emmerdale drives a 75T

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Agree totally with what everyone has said.

MGR should remain British. This was Honda's wish when they helped them in the 80's and early 90's.

Honda never wanted to take more than 49% share in the company as they felt that a large reason for it's success was the fact that it was a British company. This "Britishness" playing a strong part in it's own identity.

Hence, at the time when Honda were betrayed and ***'s offer was on the table, Honda would only offer 47.5% with the possibility of floating the remainder on the markets in a few years time.

*** bought them, and it went downhill from there. The success story of the early 90's became the "Cash Hungry" monster of the late 90's.

George Simpson and co. got it completely wrong. Incidentally I see he moved on and did a splendid job of ruining GEC Marconi.

BAE made a quick buck and the government did nothing to stop it.

If all goes to plan we will see them becoming a success story of once again. It would be a greatly deserved one too!

: - )

Matt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, I think they will succeed but only when the rest of the products match the 75. I test drove a new 25 this morning- the ride was so hard and crashy , there were rattles everywhere and the price compared to the competion is miles out , both in terms of spec and list price. I could live with that if the car was better to drive , but it is no better than any other and is outclassed by cars like the Polo etc. Build quality is no match either as I noticed that many of the 25s I looked at had panel fit problerms around the bonnet etc.
The 45 is much better, but the 75 is just in another world in terms of quality and build and driveability. So the sooner the 25 and 45 are completely renewed the sooner success will come. So it is more than public perception that needs to change . Mr Towers said the other day that they have world class products and service. Dont fool yourself John, you have the 75 and the MGTF , the rest is just outdated and outclassed.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
James, you have driven a demonstartor which has had God knows what abuse, perhaps even been a loan car. Shame on the dealers for allowing this out.
Panel fit? I recently got rid of a Merc 230 est which had up to 4mm difference in parts! AND the headlining fell on me, it never warmed up correctly, either!
Judge a car after you do the 35-40k miles a year I do. And see my post on the "Another car has had a service" in the "Humour" forums. MG-R are no worse (and a lot better than many) than any of them!!!!;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dave

Yes , perhaps I was a bit hard on MGR , but the car had 50 miles on the clock, having been part of a batch of ' impression' models that had just been pre-registered. I think the hardness of the suspension got me most , and there were so many rattles everytime you went near a bump. I agree the competition are probably no better in most cases but their prices are comparitively lower. Great engine and nice tight gearbox though, I just think the car is getting a bit old.
On a more positive note there was a beautiful 75 in royal blue in the showroom and I can say unreservedly that it has the best interior of any car I have ever see and the car is impeccably built. So I just hope the future new models keep that high standard. If they do MGR will sell 300000 a year instead of 2, mainly because the 45 sells next to nothing at the moment. By the way I drove a 600 for 4 years and 107000 miles and it never missed a beat and and had hardly a squeak in it anywhere after that time. Company car policy forced a Audi A4 130 TDi this time around , so I miss the old Rover, but the Audi build quality is superb and is a great example to the rest.

James

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think the reason that other manufacturers are in so much trouble is, unlike MG-R, they are selling cars at a catastrophic loss at the moment. MG-R have long got out of this silly competitive mess, and are making money on each car sold. See Ford for details on this!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont see how the build quality can vary so much between models,after all,they all come down the same production line at Longbridge.Do the part time staff build the 25,and full timers build the 45 and 75!! ;)I saw a big advet for the 25 Impression in the paper yesterday,£199 deposit and £149 a month for 3 years after that.Sounds like excellent value for money to me.But,if new ones are so affordable,how can people be expected to pay the same for a two year old one,even if it is a better spec,it wont have a 3 year warranty for a start!.And if you are trading in an old Rover 200,be prepared for a BIG shock.:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that quality is more often designed in rather than the production line being to blame. does the 75 not have its own line anyway

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Read somewhere that more MGRs are to be used on TV.

Saw a blue R25 being used in 'A Touch of Frost' on ITV the other night.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Hopefully the profile will be raised further still when ITV start showing BTCC races again. The MGs showed, towards the end of last season, that they were on the pace, even without the development time of some of the other teams.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
The problem with showing it live is that ITV want to be able to show both races when two take place on the same day.

This would not fit in with their schedules.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I fully agree. It would be great having Touring Cars on TV 2 days running but somehow can't see it happening.

Can't help thinking though that it would be different if it was snooker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts