MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , what are the specifications for a battery in a ZS 180, i need replacement and i was wondering if varta blue 60ah 540a or exide premium 60ah 600a is enough for this engine for everyday use , short trips, + really cold weather -20degrees here. what´s the standart specifications for original battery? thanks for a help

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
That's mild mate. Its been minus 25 here. Could consider a light weight racing battery too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that -20 was only one day , we had also -25 too, but it´s not too offen so, but am interested in that battery spec. anyway I just bought varta silver dynamiq 61ah 600a for 72e - 58pounds

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I unpluged my batery and put new one back, and there is a code on my radio and radio doesn´t work, what to do(enter a code? where can I found it) pls help

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
real anoying think is that i bought a varta silver dynamic 61AH 600A and after 2 days car was unable to start, I had probably 25 starts and travelled only 160km(100miles) , most of the routes where short up to 10km(6miles). This happened for second time in these week, and I realy hate it. My aircondition is of during start, radio off, interior light off, rear window defreezing unit off. Start radio , defreezing rear window and air con after start. So where´s the problem? can anyone help? who should I go to visit to find out what´s going on? (I need car for a winter holidays so need to solve this quick. Thanks for help :hammerhea

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is it not starting after you leave it overnight? You might be leaking charge somewhere or else the new battery wasn't fully charged up when you bought it. I would've called the breakdown people and let them diagnose it. You really need to drive it for about an hour with the electrics off to get a reliable charge.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this happened twice for a 4 days run. It happens anytime, last time I drove back home , leave a car for a 2 hours and then wanted to go away but nothing.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you don't have a voltmeter try revving the engine with the headlights on and see if the brightness fluctuates cause that might indicate a duff alternator.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have voltmeter but with no batteries :) , what volts should be on it when turn on?(14,5V) off?(12,6V)

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I bought a new Exide battery, for my derv, lasted 3 weeks and was worse than the one I replaced.

Actually jumped started using the old battery, shop changed it, so they are not always 100% even when new.

Cant you take it in to a garage and get them to put a tester on it, they can check battery and alternator, lets you know what is wrong.

:wave:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Take it back and get them to do a voltage drop test on it. I bought a new battery for one of my cars years ago from a local factory shop. It was faulty and they changed it in the end.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, just been out (outside temp. -10)
baterry seems ok , 13V on voltermeter, but car does´t start, turn the key to position 2 , dash lights go on, then turn to pos 3 and dash goes black an then immadietely starts flashing(all icons and also distance number)and between each flesh it goes black , then hazard ones comes on. No succesfull start. Then close car with remote key, and after few seconds alarm comes on. When I close with key only it´s the same story. So that´s very bad. Someone knows? tought it should be alarm or imobiliser?? but don´t know. :twak2: :twak2: :twak2: :twak2: :twak2: :twak2:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok problem solved it was an imobiliser , true EKA mode I enter password and car starts normaly, so how is it possible that I have driven maybe 10 routes and car starts and then imobiliser locked (and I tought it´s a battery). but anyhow am glad my ZS works.. cheers to MG

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I sometimes get a problem whereby the car turns over and over but doesn't fire. It did it last week and i took the keys out of the ignition, locked and unlocked the doors on the blipper, put the keys back in the ignition and she fired up straight away ? Weird or what ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
somethimes when i unlock a car with a remote key then, want to start nothink happends, just imobilizer starts screeaming, then lock unlock and it goes normal... same in old rover 420di (1998). But still love both

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
somethimes when i unlock a car with a remote key then, want to start nothink happends, just imobilizer starts screeaming, then lock unlock and it goes normal... same in old rover 420di (1998). But still love both
That can happen if you hang around too long between unlocking the doors and turning the ignition. It think it's supposed to do that.

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
the ultimate battery has to be the Optima yellow top, I've hod one in my last 3 cars now and never had an issue. The last one was fitted in my Defender as it was the only thing man enough to power the winch and all the extra spot lights at the same time!

The red top is a bit cheaper, and probably fine for a car

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
of course optima is good , but when you have limited budget then there is problem buying super stuff, hope my new will have long life

1 - 19 of 19 Posts