MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mccrae
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. gawd it's been ages since i was here last! forgot pigging password! anyhow aint been on here since mg live at silverstone - what a great weekend :) My question to you people,

I want to take out the aircon *******s altogether. With the dodgy overheating issues that these engines have (k-series) would rather give the main radiator all the breathing space i can give it. Already have ducting from various places supplying cold air into engine bay. Just feel that it would benefit more if i took it all out especially the aircon rad right in front of it!. The aircon is never used so no lose anyhow. I am pretty sure that i can also loose the pump and buy the auxillary belt for a k-series without aircon.
Your thoughts are very welcome?????

kev

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The main reason for head gasket failure in the K (120) or KV6 is a lack of coolANT, not coolING which is normally to poor maintance and lack of regular checks of your vitals!

You will be able to remove the AC pump from the 120 by fitting compaonents from a non AC model, not so easy with the 180 as I don't think there is a KV6 without AC.

Removing the gubbins from the dash is more involved, especially on a MK2.

·
Mccrae
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 120 and aware that it's mostly down to coolant but surely with increased cold air flow getting in that can't be a bad thing???. I never even have a thought in my head of getting rid of my zed and already regard it as a classic and still has people looking. Want to keep her for as long as possible so aint worried about trying to sell it on without air con. The zed does not owe me anything anymore so it's all mine :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It's a 120 and aware that it's mostly down to coolant but surely with increased cold air flow getting in that can't be a bad thing???. I never even have a thought in my head of getting rid of my zed and already regard it as a classic and still has people looking. Want to keep her for as long as possible so aint worried about trying to sell it on without air con. The zed does not owe me anything anymore so it's all mine :)
Easy enough to do screw driver in the valve stand back and spray green liquid all over the place wear a mask and googles its not nice stuff, or get a/c place to drain as they would do this before recharging.

To be fair you would be better of fitting a larger main rad if your that concerned. Alternatively take the stat out drill 3 small holes through it, this will allow water to circulate all of the time and remove risk of thermal shock to head (main case of HGF) we do this on race cars the stat will still work but allows some warm water to pass bfore it opens fully. While you at it fit new water pump you would be amazed the differnce it makes any car over 70K well worth doing. We have always replace water pump when doing cam belt cheaer in the long term.

·
Mccrae
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the advise guy's and think drilling holes in the stat is a good idea. Going to undertake the timing belt change which is fast approaching and obviously the water pump too. So tackle the stat then. Maybe i am over worrying but hey to me the a/c waste of power being there that's never used so going to rip it out and let more air in.

Thanks again guy's

·
Mccrae
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the A/C is gone :) next on the list - timing belt, water pump and stat holes. johnny 5 pic's 002.jpg

johnny 5 pic's 003.jpg

johnny 5 pic's 004.jpg

Thankfully there was no green goo when discharging the system as it's never been used anyhow lol just a bit of air so made the rip out nice and clean :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have to say, I dont really understand your reasoning for getting rid of the air con. If you're worried about increased fuel consumption/decreased power, then dont turn it on...
I also dont see what it has to do with HGF - the radiator is ample for cooling the K series, with or without air con.

I trust there are more fans on the engine side of the radiator?

·
Mccrae
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the engine still has it's own fan on the inside and understand why people are saying 'why' but whats the point in having something in there that never gets used? I would rather have it out and have a better flow of cold air to the rad. no? The space that it made is great :) could step inside there now lol

·
Registered
608 Posts
I can understand that it would save the weight, and I dont really get why you would need the extra space under the bonnet. I guess we have different schools of thought, Id rather have something and not need it etc etc.
As for the increased cooling capacity of the radiator, removing the aircon radiator will increase air flow to the coolant radiator no question about that, but I cant say Ive ever noticed that lack of air flow to the radiator was ever a problem. Plus, according the RimmberBros it is the same radiator for both the K series and the KV6 - if that radiator can sufficiently cool the KV6 with an aircon radiator in front, Id really doubt it would struggle with the K I4.

Still, kudos for experimenting. The timing belt all done now, too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts