MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1.8 K-Series I recently bought off another MG enthusiast was removed from his father's Rover 75. It still had the Dual Mass Flywheel
( DMF ) fitted which I wanted to remove today.

So, I needed to use a different method to remove it as the properties of the DMF mean you have to use a method to 'lock it' when undoing the various securing bolts which are always tight from the factory. My 24 Volt Cordless Impact Driver coped admirably with the six 10 mm Bolts securing the clutch cover and plate. That was removed in seconds. However the six 13mm Bolts which secure the DMF needed a different approach as it was not possible to lock the DMF as you can with a conventional Flywheel.

My 24 volt cordless Impact drivers simply could not cope with those very tight 13mm bolts. After a few false starts which saw the DMF doing its mass movement thing, this set up worked and I soon had all six of those very tight bolts removed :~

Using this set up still required some muscle effort to undo the tight bolts. There was no evidence of thread lock, just fine threads done up tightly.

Each bolt needed some effort even when using my extra heavy duty 3/4" Breaker Bar before the bolt started to undo.

The stout block of wood came in handy :~

Clutch assembly and DMF removed :~

View of assembly from Clutch Cover side :~

Close up of the Flywheel location on the rear of the K-Series Crankshaft :~

From memory, it looks identical to other K-Series Flywheel locations. Hope so. If it is not... :(... this engine will not be suitable for my needs and will be up for sale.

These DMFs are quite expensive and as this one appears in very good shape, I'll put it on ebay if nobody here wants it. No reasonable offer refused.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Some good old fashioned approaches to what most would describe as requiring service tool 1234569

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Must be good quality bolts, 13mm with a breaker bar that size, wonder you didnt just spin the heads off the bolts!!!!

Always worries me when you have to put a lot of effort into smallish bolts.

:wave:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The actual threaded parts of the bolts are substantial. The metal appears of very fine quality. Although the Bolts have a built in flange, these 13mm Bolt Heads do appear rather small when compared to the 19mm ones I'm familiar with when working on flywheels on the Rover T-Series engines.

I never use too powerful effort either manually or with power tools when dealing with tight nuts or bolts. Far too easy to destroy hex-flats on a nut or snap a bolt. However, there will always be the occasional snapped bolt no matter how much care you take.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Good work, I never realized that the K series in the 75 had a dmf, I thought it was only the diesels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.