MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had to cut my suspension arm off as the bolts had seized into the bush.

I'm now in a sticky situation and need some advise. Please bear in mind that I cannot take the car to a garage at this stage.

I am left with part of the bolt left in which I thought I would be able to turn out with some mole grips. It was moving freely when me and Shafz (admin on zr forum) tried it the other day.

How can I get this out?? Its at a bad angle to drill... I tried to cut a slot with a hack saw blade to get a screwdriver onto but its too difficult to get to, also considered filing off the sides to fit a spanner over but again its too fiddly as its in the recess...

I can fit a nut onto it... Could this be welded on and then use a socket to take it out?

Help!!

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
prob your best bet is to weld a nut onto it

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Yep, 3 secs of weld from a MIG and it'll undo piece of ****.

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Looks like the bolt was siezed in the nut as well.

It may be possible to weld the nut on and remove the end of the bolt that way.
Otherwise, you will have to drill the bolt out form the back. First, grind it flat, then centre punch and drill through very carefully. Best to start with a smaller drill, say 5mm then gradually work up to the right size.
Rather than reuse the existing nut that would have to be tapped out - also it is not the standard M10 thread - it would probably be easier to use a nut and bolt. Make syre the bolt is strong enough. A cap head (allen key) bolt would be the best bet to be sure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the comments guys...

The remains of the bolt is not seized... it was just seized within the bush which I have now cut off (4 hours with a hack saw blade) LOL....

I need to find someone with a mig I think :)

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Surely some vise-grips on the remaining bit and it'll wind out????

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Assume its had a good soaking with something (penetrating oil, diesel, wd40 or whatever)?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assume its had a good soaking with something (penetrating oil, diesel, wd40 or whatever)?
Yes it has a very good dowsing!!! I've had a great idea suggested to me... Instead of welding a nut on put 2 on then lock them against each other, then try to remove with socket.

Going to try first thing tomorrow :D

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Yes it has a very good dowsing!!! I've had a great idea suggested to me... Instead of welding a nut on put 2 on then lock them against each other, then try to remove with socket.

Going to try first thing tomorrow :D
Doesn't look to be enough thread showing though? :dunno:
If there is then theres a fair chance that will work - 2 spanner job, lock the 2 nuts together then try to remove bolt by undoing inner nut while tightening outer nut. You need to keep the nuts locked together or they will just unscrew off the thread. You need to be putting the effort into the inner nut - if you use socket on outer nut the nuts will probably just unscrew.

Good luck!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't look to be enough thread showing though? :dunno:
If there is then theres a fair chance that will work - 2 spanner job, lock the 2 nuts together then try to remove bolt by undoing inner nut while tightening outer nut. You need to keep the nuts locked together or they will just unscrew off the thread. You need to be putting the effort into the inner nut - if you use socket on outer nut the nuts will probably just unscrew.

Good luck!
Need to wait until tomorrow now as I over slept today and need to go to work :(

I'm impressed - 18hrs since this post and no smutty comments! :lol:
lol...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
These are what u need,I have a set and they are indispensible............

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9577&frostProductName=Bolt-Grip Fastener Remover (5-piece set) &catID=19&frostCat=Mechanical&frostSubCat=Release&subCatID=56

5 in the set,another 5 to buy separately.The set goes up to 5/8" 16mm
Never seen them before, learn something new every day on here. Kind of the opposite of a pigs willy (can't remember proper name! :lol:)

If you could get someone at home to keep applying penetrating oil or whatever while you're at work it may help - just in this weather (here at least) almost anything will dry out quickly.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Be careful though,they are animals,they think nothing of ripping off captive nuts as I found out trying to get the battery clamp off my 200........
Just bought a stainless steel clamp and bolt £5.95 plus p+p
Brown and Gammons, as the old one looked a bit rusty.

:wave:

·
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection
3,290 Posts
Never seen them before, learn something new every day on here. Kind of the opposite of a pigs willy (can't remember proper name! :lol:)

If you could get someone at home to keep applying penetrating oil or whatever while you're at work it may help - just in this weather (here at least) almost anything will dry out quickly.
Pigs Willies...............:lol:,you mean easy outs Gaz?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts