MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You've probably got a seized slider, see if you can free that up and then they wont be pitted come next mot just nice and worn all over.

Those are the right size discs, if you want cheap you can get them cheaper than that, the mintex brake box goes for about a tenner less.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've probably got a seized slider, see if you can free that up and then they wont be pitted come next mot just nice and worn all over.

Those are the right size discs, if you want cheap you can get them cheaper than that, the mintex brake box goes for about a tenner less.
Right you are. Thanks. Found these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-REAR-BR...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439c09d110

Garage wants £108 labour and I think that's exc VAT. I don't suppose it's a job for a complete amateur like myself?

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Right you are. Thanks. Found these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-REAR-BR...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439c09d110

Garage wants £108 labour and I think that's exc VAT. I don't suppose it's a job for a complete amateur like myself?
£108 labour to change discs, ripping you off mate unless they are charging £100 and hour.

DIY it, buy an impact driver to remove the screws and a Haynes manual, it used to take me an hour to do both sides so if you've never done it before allow 2 to 3 hours. Just make sure all grease is removed from the new discs and mating surface on the hub is completely free of rust.
If your still not sure then shop around for a cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
£108 labour to change discs, ripping you off mate unless they are charging £100 and hour.

DIY it, buy an impact driver to remove the screws and a Haynes manual, it used to take me an hour to do both sides so if you've never done it before allow 2 to 3 hours. Just make sure all grease is removed from the new discs and mating surface on the hub is completely free of rust.
If your still not sure then shop around for a cheaper price.
Yeah, it seems brakes are the main cash cow of garages these days. They also quoted me 120 quid for the parts! At least it was only an advisory notice so no big rush to get it done. I'm gonna have a go at it when it's a bit warmer outside. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
as for whether an amatuear can do it, i manged to do one side of my car aftr watching my mate.

I was hoping he would do both sides, but after freeing up the caliper on one side and settling the disk et he turned round and said.. right your turn. i was glad it went through the MOT fine.. and that was 2 years ago now. just remember to bleed everything carefully afterwards as brake fluid is nasty stuff!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Got the dreaded metal on metal squeal, when we were on holiday up in the Lakes.

Drove gently into Kendal and found a National garage, explained what had happened and he took one look at the rear disks and said new disks and pads. I just wanted him to put the pads on but he wouldnt, only light damage but any wear means new disks.

Charged £140 but worth every penny.

This was caused by a rusted up slider, he said he had to wack it with a hammer to free it off!! Suppose after all the salt and muck on the road it will be worth checking them when it warms up.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charged £140 but worth every penny.
That's about how much I'm prepared to pay if it includes parts and VAT. But maybe that's wishful thinking.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Always looks easy in the book until you attempt it yourself and bit and pieces are seized up or rusted or whatever. Think I'll buy the parts myself and let a pro do the rest.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Its an easy job for an amature, you wont need to bleed anything as you dont have to take the caliper off the brake hose. 4 wheel nuts, 2 disc screws and 2 bolts each side and thats it.

If the sliders are seized then its a bit harder, fitting new discs with seized sliders will just destroy the new kit in a few weeks if you can even get them to fit in.

If your passing Guildford I dont mind having a look for you.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
I agree! £108 to change rear discs and pads is expensive!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I agree! £108 to change rear discs and pads is expensive!
I paid less than that to have all 4 corners done with parts I supplied at the garage who do my MOTs (as they are close to work).

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Do it yourself it's easy enough. I got a full set of Mintex discs and pads off fleabay delivered for a song.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its an easy job for an amature, you wont need to bleed anything as you dont have to take the caliper off the brake hose. 4 wheel nuts, 2 disc screws and 2 bolts each side and thats it.

If the sliders are seized then its a bit harder, fitting new discs with seized sliders will just destroy the new kit in a few weeks if you can even get them to fit in.

If your passing Guildford I dont mind having a look for you.
I'll wait till it's a bit warmer outside and have a go at it. If things get sticky then I'll leave it. Guildford's not a million miles away. I'll give you a shout if I'm in the area. Thanks for the offer.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Got the dreaded metal on metal squeal,
All my ZS rear pads have had "wear indicators" on them, its a strip of steel that comes into contact with the disk just before the pad wears to nothing, it may well have been this that you were hearing.

I changed my disks and pads all round at about 60k for the first time, very happy they all lasted that long. :D

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
All my ZS rear pads have had "wear indicators" on them, its a strip of steel that comes into contact with the disk just before the pad wears to nothing, it may well have been this that you were hearing.

I changed my disks and pads all round at about 60k for the first time, very happy they all lasted that long. :D
When I first heard it I thought I had picked up a stone under one of the pads, so I went forward and hit the brakes, then reverse and did the same.

The noise and feel of the car when braking got worse and worse, even when light braking.

Drove about 20 miles to find a garage and when I looked at them with the fitter, there was a groove cut in the disk.

I had new front and rear pads at home but that dosnt help when it happens on holiday.

He said that he had to bash the slider to move it, as it had rusted up quite badly.

About 9 months ago, I had new front disks put on and asked them to check the rears. All OK at the back I was told!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts