MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought It had freed itself off after a mile the other day. No probs yesterday at all but this morning and after a really good intentional press on the pedal she was binding again on n/s/r.

My intention is to take it off, wind piston out, clean up surfaces, apply some brake grease and re assemble.

Do you think this would do the trick only I have to go up to Cannock on Saturday morning to pick up the lads scooby and I don't want to take any chaces with mine.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thought It had freed itself off after a mile the other day. No probs yesterday at all but this morning and after a really good intentional press on the pedal she was binding again on n/s/r.

My intention is to take it off, wind piston out, clean up surfaces, apply some brake grease and re assemble.

Do you think this would do the trick only I have to go up to Cannock on Saturday morning to pick up the lads scooby and I don't want to take any chaces with mine.

What do you guys think?
Yeah that sounds good to me, i've got the same problem with mine, but haven't got round to sorting it out yet.

Also take the slider off the carrier, clean it all really well, and re-assemble with a good smear of brake grease on the moving parts.

May also be worth spraying some brake cleaner in there as well, check out the condition of the gaitors and boots for wear while your in there. :)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I just got back in her now and it's all moving as free as a bird. I will ease it all out tomorrow though to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It is not a long term solution.

The brake doesn't bind early in the day but starts to bind as it warms up through the day. It will wind back out as you use the car and doesn't wind back in properly. As your back brakes dont grip as much as your front ones they wont bind as much.

There are 2 ways the binding is reduced, a reduction of heat and simply the fact that the pads are wearing down.

My N/S/R was binding, I had it wound all the way in, new disc and pads and it was fine for a few days, within a few weeks the pads had gone.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stripped it out this afternoon. Nothing obviously seized or sticking? Caliper piston wound out and back in ok. Slider pins were a little lacking of lube but working fine. The handbrake actuator seemed to work fine. Just gave everything a clean up, re - lube and put it all back together. If I had to put money on it I'd say either the pads were sticking in the carrier, or, the handbrake actuator was a little sticky. Couldn't see anything that would warrant a new caliper though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It is sometimes necessary to take a file to the metal part of the pad to get a nice fit in the carrier.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I did this. Road tested her last night and seems spot on now. The fault bubbled the paint on the pads and me gold painted caliper. Just hope the disc aint warped as they are quite new. This particular side has always shown a series of score type rust marks to outside disc face no depth or anything though?

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
I've had exactly the same on a low mileage ZS180 - a new caliper was the only option in the end.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from Cannock to pick up the lads scooby and no probs at all. He was well impressed how the zed held its own against it. It's a uk standard 208bhp jobbie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts