MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: spoiler problem

Brought a high level spoiler today for my zs 120 (2005) traveled 110mile round trip to collect it. When i got there realised it had been butchered a little but didn't think it a problem. Got home and it wont even sit on the boot straight, it's kind of off the boot lid at the front. Now £55 down :(
Can anyone tell me what one will fit right.
thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
Re: spoiler problem

mine didn't sit perfect either, I think the previous owner had a bodyshop cut out part of the base for a lower lip spoiler, it was a mint job mind, but too much was cut out and it looked odd unless it was sat almost overhanging the boot. When it sat this far back the spoilers angle altered.
When I tightened up the spoiler, the boot did pull tight into the spoilers shape.
I ended up spacing out the rear of the spoiler to get an angle that would create more down force, I'm more interested in a spoiler that creates some downforce rather than just look pretty and not work so well.

Best thing is to post up some pics...

·
Zedhead
177 Posts

is yours a hatch and is it the evo style saloon spoiler ?

·
Zedhead
177 Posts

If yours is a saloon the big spoiler should just bolt straight on, unless you have bought a pattern part copy ?

cant see any reason why it would not fit unless its not a genuine part ?

·
Registered
731 Posts

thanks for the info, what did you space it out with?
It's a saloon
penny washers, but I did this to get a decent angle that might generate some downforce rather than to look pretty.
It is primarily a track car and keeping the rear on on the tarmac is more important than looks.

You could space it then run some black panel sealant between the joints/gaps to finish it off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If yours is a saloon the big spoiler should just bolt straight on, unless you have bought a pattern part copy ?

cant see any reason why it would not fit unless its not a genuine part ?
It kind of hung over the sides of the boot too much, i have sorted that bit by shortening it, it's the front that sits off the lid by 1"
I started filling it to build it up earlier but had enough and gave up lol,
i could cut each side of the bottom where it sits on the lid but then wont have a way of fitting it?

·
Zedhead
177 Posts

It kind of hung over the sides of the boot too much, i have sorted that bit by shortening it, it's the front that sits off the lid by 1"
I started filling it to build it up earlier but had enough and gave up lol,
i could cut each side of the bottom where it sits on the lid but then wont have a way of fitting it?
It must be a pattern copy then a genuine spoiler off another mg should bolt straight on mate... i do feel your pain... i remember buying a morette twin headlight kit for my old clio 1.8 16v and finding out i had to fit the indicators into the bumper.... it turned out to be a right arse in the pain !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It must be a pattern copy then a genuine spoiler off another mg should bolt straight on mate... i do feel your pain... i remember buying a morette twin headlight kit for my old clio 1.8 16v and finding out i had to fit the indicators into the bumper.... it turned out to be a right arse in the pain !!
Cheers guys, will have another look tomorrow, see if there is anything i can do with it, will keep ya posted lol

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts

Think a lot of guys buy the lip spoiler, to add to the big one.

But as Jason said down to you.

My one (any excuse)

With the lip spoiler.

:wave:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I like that, nice Colour. I have been in my garage all morning butchering the spoiler, i have shortened it another inch and trimmed the underside where it sits on the boot, now sitting flush. Next to think what to use inside the bottom to fix to car as had to cut out where it sits on boot, its hollow now :err:, was thinking filler but not sure yet??

·
Registered
398 Posts

I'd love a lip spoiler for my mk1, can't find one though

·
Registered
795 Posts

It wasn't a green one off ebay from the Hampshire area was it? There was one for sale that had been modified to fit a hatchback.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

It wasn't a green one off ebay from the Hampshire area was it? There was one for sale that had been modified to fit a hatchback.
It is that one yes.

Personally I'd stick it back on ebay as being suitable for a hatch, and carry on looking for a saloon spoiler.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts