MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
You should read the thread I started on the subject of the ZS in the snow . . . http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?p=616752#post616752

My Contis are really rubbish in the snow . . . I now have Vredestein Wintrac xtremes on the front, they make a huge difference. I drove from Birmingham to Chatsworth yesterday, only gave up trying to go uphill through 8" of snow just under 2 miles from Chatsworth House . . . turns out they were closed anyway :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Conti Sport 2 are summer tyres so of course they are ****ty in the snow.

Hey, they never were made for snow.

Got Wintrac Extreme and they prove in the last winter

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Only contis I've used are the ones that came with the zed. I've never seen tread wear down so quick. And they were noisy to boot.

Edit:
Sorry. Strike that. I think those were Bridgestones. Senior moment. lol

·
Lovin' the torque
288 Posts
Avon ZZ3 seems pretty good in the snow. I've already cruised past three stranded drivers this week and not had a problem on the country road into work.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Toyo T1R....utter crap in the snow!!!

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Avon ZZ3 seems pretty good in the snow. I've already cruised past three stranded drivers this week and not had a problem on the country road into work.
Got ZZ3s all round on mine and I can't say I was impressed, but then Ive not wintered the ZS on any other tyres. Don't think many of the usual suspects are going to be any good in this weather (usual suspects being contis, zz3s, toyo t1rs etc).

Reckon mine will be staying garaged until the snow has gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After a fair amount of research I recently decided on Uniroyal Rainsport 2's.

By far the best all round tyre I've had on the ZS since new, and I was the only resident able to drive up the steep communal driveway to my home in the recent heavy snow (Couldn't manage it last year on the previous tyres).

Tyres were fairly inexpensive too at around £105 each fitted.

Previous tyres on this car:

Conti's Sport 2's.

Dunlop SP 9000

Dunlops were great for avoiding aquaplaning (much better than the conti's) but did exaggerate tramlining on motorways and were a noisy tyre.

Only downside to the Rainsports are the sidewalls are a little softer (even with the must have XL version with stiffer sidewalls). Again, a noisy tyre but quieter than the dunlops.

Overall, The rainsport 2's advantages for wet and dry grip, overall control and wear outweigh the other tyres by a mile.

·
Registered
208 Posts
After a fair amount of research I recently decided on Uniroyal Rainsport 2's.

By far the best all round tyre I've had on the ZS since new, and I was the only resident able to drive up the steep communal driveway to my home in the recent heavy snow (Couldn't manage it last year on the previous tyres).

Tyres were fairly inexpensive too at around £105 each fitted.

Previous tyres on this car:

Conti's Sport 2's.

Dunlop SP 9000

Dunlops were great for avoiding aquaplaning (much better than the conti's) but did exaggerate tramlining on motorways and were a noisy tyre.

Only downside to the Rainsports are the sidewalls are a little softer (even with the must have XL version with stiffer sidewalls). Again, a noisy tyre but quieter than the dunlops.

Overall, The rainsport 2's advantages for wet and dry grip, overall control and wear outweigh the other tyres by a mile.
I agree Uniroyal rainsports are ace! I haven't been out in the snow in fairness but I have rainsport 1's on the ZT260 and rainsport 2's on the Zs180 the grip is almost as good as the conti's in the dry and a whole lot better in the wet and so far they have outlasted the Conti's on the rear of the 260 even with the odd smokey start:oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts