MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slow on the up take on this. Rand Racing have purchased 2 (two) chassis to contest the 2003 ALMS season in the United States. They are to replace the existing Nissan Lola's as used this season. Bill Rand hopes to take delivery of chassis No5 in July 2002 and extensively test the machine before the start of the 2003 season. He firmly believes that the LMP675 category can and will beat the more powerful LMP900 Audi's and alike.

One thought though. Where is chassis No4. Two works cars, Knighthawk and then chassis No5. Who has got No4 or is this the Intersport car?

More details on www.endurancesportscar.com/news/alms

Jim:D

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Hi Jim,

I have to correct you I'm afraid - the Knighthawk car is actually 004. The full chassis number being MG-LMP004. Steve Knight told me himself!

There is actually 3 works cars. According to the Chamberlain Motorsport website, the two 2001 Le Mans cars were Chassis Nº: 001 / Car Nº: 33 / Blundell, Bailey & McGarrity and Chassis Nº: 003 / Car Nº: 34 / Reid, Hughes & Kane. When I went to Shelsley Walsh last year (with the hope of seeing one of the cars run up the hill) I spoke to one of the Chamberlain men and he confirmed that there was a third car, which had been taken to Le Mans last year as a spare.

As Rand are about to take delivery of Chassis Nº: 005, I can only assume that the Intersport car is actually one of the three original works cars. I have placed a message on Intersport's website forum requesting some clarification, but no joy as yet.

Has anybody found a website for Rand Racing?

Kind regards,

'Extreme'

·
Registered
87 Posts
Intersport Chassis number

Hi Jim

Intersport Lola MG chassis number is 003, ex LM2001 34 car ... then I guess that 'spare' 002 is either this year nb 26 or 27. that's all I know for the moment.

I haven't found anything about Rand Racing site or else on the web for the moment ... sad ! News from the inside would be welcome.

That's all I know by now ...

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for pointing out the chassis situation. Log on to the above web site and SURF. I'll have ago as well and see what we come up with. It is quite a big team as they regularly enter two Lola Nissan's.

Could we have six MG Lola's at Le Mans next year!

Jim

G

·
Chassis Numbers

Once you guys can number the chassis maybe you could send me a article with them for the main site + history.

You will of course be credited.

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Hi Pierre,

Just a quick question. How do you know that the Intersport MG Lola is actually Chassis Nº 003? Would you mind disclosing your source?

Kind regards,

'Extreme!'

·
Supporting RML in LMES & Dyson In ALMS
2,085 Posts
Extreme,

From this report that was on
www.fastdetails.com/alms/Seb12index.htm on 9th march I think that the Intersport car is an ex works chassis :-

"Intersport got their MG at mid-day, and were unwrapping it like it was a Christmas present, and rightly so. This an ex-factory car, and through scratches in the pretty blue can be seen the car's former bright green. Much for the Intersport crew to do to not only learn the car from scratch, but get it ready for a hopefully competitive run next Saturday."

and Chamberlin web site www.c-m-s.cc/MG/MGaccess5.htm cays that this years cars are as follows:

"Type: MG EX257 Chassis: 001 Car Number: 27
Type: MG EX257 Chassis: 003 Car Number: 28 "

If Knighthawk have number 4 then does that make the Intersport car #2 then?

I think so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
EX 257 Chassis numbers

I spoke with Steve Knight at Sebring and he told me that both he and Jon Field of Intersport were interested in the single customer EX257 offered last December but he got there first, receiving chassis #004. Jon Field was still anxious to buy a car in time for Sebring and after being told that there were no other customer cars available at that time, he persuaded MG/Lola to update and sell him chassis #001 which was being used for development work. Chassis #002 and #003 were retained for use at LeMans by the factory this year. I can't swear that this is gospel, but that was Steve Knight's understanding of the situation in March.

Frank

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
In reply to:

...Chamberlin web site www.c-m-s.cc/MG/MGaccess5.htm cays that this years cars are as follows:

"Type: MG EX257 Chassis: 001 Car Number: 27
Type: MG EX257 Chassis: 003 Car Number: 28 "

Yes, I noticed this aswell. Maybe it is more like the fact that they have duplicated last years Le Mans page and not updated it to this years Chassis Nºs as yet! Might be wrong though!

Can anybody who attended any events during the last year or so (where an EX257 was present) confirm what actual Chassis Nº was used? For example which chassis did Goodwood, was on display at the NEC / the MGCC International at Silverstone / BTCC rounds, etc...? Or any other event for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

'Extreme!'

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
EX257 Chassis Numbers

I have just looked through my records and found the following...

2001 MG Car Club International @ Silverstone :
EX257 Chassis Nº 003 on static display on MG stand

2001 Shelsley Walsh Anniversary Hillclimb :
EX257 Chassis Nº 001 on static display in paddock

2001 Donington Park BTCC Round :
EX257 Chassis Nº 001 on static display outside MG hospitality suite

Anybody else got any information along the same lines?

Kind regards,

'Extreme!'

G

·
Car #1 seems to give us some problems then?

And what of RANDS cars? There was talk of 6 cars built during the winter, it now looks as though they have all found owners!

Frank, I don't want to place anything on site until we have the definitive, any chance of confirming the chassis # with Steve? Like the Sebring article in "MG World!"

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll be happy to ask Steve to verify, I should have a chance to be in touch next week after the ALMS race at Sears Point is over. FWIW he was very definite when he was showing me the Knighthawk car at Sebring that it was Chassis #004, so that much is confirmed. Probably the best thing would be to check with Jon Field directly about the chassis number of the Intersport car.

The new issue of MG World hasn't made it to these shores as yet, so I haven't seen the Sebring article though I have had an advance copy of the text, glad you liked it!

Frank

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
I can confirm...

A quote from an email I received from Steve Knight on the 25 March...

"Our car is numbered: 'MG-LMP004' as you suspected."

...and another that I received in an email on the 17 March...

"This car was the same one we tested at Road Atlanta and it
was the same one which Jonny Kane tested at Sebring a month before. This is the only MG Lola which any of us have been in or tested."

Pictured below is Jonny Kane testing '004' at Sebring in December last year.

Kind regards,

'Extreme!'

Attachments

G

·
From the above posts:

Can we assume??

KnightHawk Car: 004
Sport & Racing (#26???): 001
Sport & Racing (#27??): 003
Intersport: 002???
Rand: 005 & 006

Think Franks idea of asking Jon Field is a good idea. Maybe ask Rand too when the dust settles. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Chamberlain stated that last year MG cars were 001 ( 33 ) and 003 ( 34 )
Knighthawk 004 is sure , I had the reply from the team once they got it.
Problem with Intersport racing is I can't post message any more - some pb with the site - I had the answer for last year B2K/10 so there's no reason they won't answer ...
About Rand Racing coming cars, I rely on http://www.endurancesportscar.com/alms.htm stating that they must be 005 and 006? ...

Keep on surching ...

G

·
Third team opts for MG Lolas in ALMS

Found this on the MG BB:

The MG Lola EX257 is rapidly turning in the car to have in the LMP675 class of the American Le Mans Series, with Rand Racing now purchasing two in preparation for the 2003 season. The team are aiming not only to win in LMP675, but feel the car gives them a chance of winning overall.

"I think the MG Lola can beat the prototypes," said team owner Bill Rand. "I think it can be done with the proper team, and I think we have the proper team. I don't just think we can win the 675 class, I think we can go out there and win races overall."

Rand Racing will take delivery of the MG Lola EX257 chassis No. 5 in July and will receive a second chassis prior to the 2003 season. Rand says they will not enter a race with their new cars until the team has completed extensive endurance testing and is ready to win.

MG Lola's are currently being raced in the ALMS by the KnightHawk Racing and Intersport teams. KnightHawk will also be competing at Le Mans this year.

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
The plot thickens!

Sorry guys, just unearthed something about one of the Sport & Racing entered MG Lola EX257s that might confuse things even further!

When I went to Silverstone last year for the MG Car Club International meeting on the 24th June, there was a large display of XPower vehicles aswell as the forthcoming Z cars.

On display was an MG Lola EX257 in full XPower livery, literally having just returned from Le Mans. The car was the Nº 33 entry (numbers still visible on front & sides) of Mark Blundell, Julian Bailey & Kevin McGarrity. Further evidence, including quickly mocked-up windscreen in red insulation tape, red flash on the rollover hoop, green tape around front grill area to cover some actual race damage, map of the circuit in the 'passenger' footwell, and drivers drinks bottle on purpose built frame (also in 'passenger' hollow) all go to back up the fact that this was indeed one of the race cars - the Nº 33 entry of Blundell, Bailey & McGarrity.

I asked one of the MG chaps if I could be allowed into the fenced off area to take some closer photos. Very kind of him. My main reason was in fact to get details of the actual Chassis Nº of the car!

I am sorry to say that the Chassis Nº of the car I saw at Silverstone on that day (Entry Nº 33 still visible!) was in fact 'MG-LMP003'! This contradicts what we have been told by the Chamberlain website!

Please find below some photos taken on the day...

Kind regards and apologies for adding to the confusion!,

'Extreme!'

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Photo A (below) shows the complete car with : Nº 33 ; red insulation tape windscreen ; red flash on rollover hoop ; and race damage covered by brighter green tape on nose...

Attachments

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Photo B (below) shows the drinks bottle in the 'passenger' hollow, on custom built frame. Note the Chassis Nº plate just above the bottle...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts