MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm gauging costs for removing the rear silencer and replacing with an MG ZR 160 race tube: anyone got a 160 2.5" race tube for sale please?
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically, yes. It's the intermediate section minus the silencer...... I've seen them on EBayer etc and they call them race tube's!

·
Sideways on Fire
158 Posts
Don't do it. It'll sound like a tank and prob fail the noise test at a trackday.

I had a 2.5" single box system on my Mk3 T16, even with the turbo acting as a silencer it still sounded like a scud attack.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't do it. It'll sound like a tank and prob fail the noise test at a trackday.

I had a 2.5" single box system on my Mk3 T16, even with the turbo acting as a silencer it still sounded like a scud attack.
Oh! It'll make that much of a difference?
Balls.......
OK, thank you for the sound advice :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Probably rob some power too, the middle box is much less restrictive than the rear box and is primarily designed to allow for gas expansion to help exhaust breathing.

These race tubes are for boy racers, I beleive they started life as pipes from maniverters to the rear box just to help make some noise for people who could not afford a proper 4-2-1 manifold upgrade.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably rob some power too, the middle box is much less restrictive than the rear box and is primarily designed to allow for gas expansion to help exhaust breathing.

These race tubes are for boy racers, I beleive they started life as pipes from maniverters to the rear box just to help make some noise for people who could not afford a proper 4-2-1 manifold upgrade.
OK, thanks for the info :)
I'm deffo not a boy racer but probably the one who can't afford a proper 4-2-1 upgrade! LOL.
I'm put off the 4-2-1 upgrade because i hear of power loss with sports cat-backs and also the money forked out is crazy for so little bhp gains.....

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
OK, thanks for the info :)
I'm deffo not a boy racer but probably the one who can't afford a proper 4-2-1 upgrade! LOL.
I'm put off the 4-2-1 upgrade because i hear of power loss with sports cat-backs and also the money forked out is crazy for so little bhp gains.....
Really?? havent heard that myself. . Im on my 2nd 160 with 4-2-1 mani and sports cat and you can tell the differance. Bit more torquey and pulls strong to 7.2k
They dont tend to respond well to decats. Thats what u have prob heard of.

Race tubes are a load of crap. They advertise them on ebay a race tubes for all the chavs.
Will sound terrible and do naff all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really?? havent heard that myself. . Im on my 2nd 160 with 4-2-1 mani and sports cat and you can tell the differance. Bit more torquey and pulls strong to 7.2k
They dont tend to respond well to decats. Thats what u have prob heard of.

Race tubes are a load of crap. They advertise them on ebay a race tubes for all the chavs.
Will sound terrible and do naff all.
Def heard bad things about sports cat's but it is, i guess, all opinion; if you've got them and they produce noticeable improvements then that's good enough for me :)
Shed loads of cash for the Janspeed setup though....and big insurance increase too i guess....
I guess i must have a bit of chav in me to have fallen for the race tube pitch LOL :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
For std VVC exhaust flow a 2 ½" exhaust pipe is too large. No gains at all.

About the noise. In here noise test is a must before every single event. My ZR with std VVC , race ( metal ) cat and 2,25 mm pipe + one 400 mm long ( 100X200 mm oval shape ) competition mufler, have been at 3500 rpm from 92 to 95 DB depending how hot the system is when measured. ( exhaust system is now 4 years old ).
So, when using right kind of parts the noise is not a problem. Don`t buy everything which is glittering.:whistle:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Def heard bad things about sports cat's but it is, i guess, all opinion; if you've got them and they produce noticeable improvements then that's good enough for me :)
Shed loads of cash for the Janspeed setup though....and big insurance increase too i guess....
I guess i must have a bit of chav in me to have fallen for the race tube pitch LOL :)
Problem is the Janspeed is just a copy of the original manifold with slightly better joins, for better power and better power delivery you want an exhaust manifold with much longer primaries and 12-18 inch secondaries. This will net the most power on the K series.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem is the Janspeed is just a copy of the original manifold with slightly better joins, for better power and better power delivery you want an exhaust manifold with much longer primaries and 12-18 inch secondaries. This will net the most power on the K series.

I didn't know that; you learn something new every day! Thank you :) Any ideas where i can this type of improved exhaust manifold from please? Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
I´m sorry, but have to say ; that won´t fit ZR chassis. Without cutting and re-welding. Might be because it is made for TF or Lotus Elise.
But for a handy man nothing is too diffucult.:dddc:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah thats designed for an Elise and is no longer for sale anyhow its just the only internet picture I could find in a hurry, good news is its a lot simpler for the front engined cars as you dont have to try and get all the length out the way before the bend to the rear box, I have a manifold here by a company called EBD but they are very low tech and dont come up on the internet, exhaust by design.

When I drove the car with it on it was incredible, it transforms the 1.8 VVC into a much revvier car and sounds amazing, its worth about 5bhp on its own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, thanks for the input fella's :)
Think i'm just going to get an ITG Maxogen airflow system as for the money you get a reasonable return on bhp for limited work and shafting by the insurance company!
Thanks again :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts