MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experienced/experiencing this????

A most annoying problem, :mad: only occurs when window in fully up position and disappears when window glass is pushed outwards.

Went into 2 different dealers, both of whom tried in vain to sort it, adjusting/tightening regulator, door striker plates, etc, etc.

Its taken a while, but I now have a couple of fixes and more info for anyone who is interested and is currently turning up the radio to get away from this very annoying problem :)

Matt.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Rattles are not easy for your dealer to cure. But in cars as fantastic and refined as the 75/ZT, as I know myself they can be a real irritation.

9 times out of 10, as luck would have it, when the car enters the dealers for these to be investigated, they dissapear until 10 minutes after you pick the car up. :mad:

Do not attempt to carry out the works yourself as your dealer is trained and qualified to do it:

Take the car into your local MGR dealer and explain/show them the following:

The rattling you are hearing is actually the top of the door frame rubbing or "fretting" on the body of the car.

You may find, as I did that the rubber seal on the rattling window door is not tight against the roof of the car.

If this is so, check that the door alignment with the front and back is OK. Front and rear doors should be at the same level so if you run your hand along the car, there is no large bump as your hand goes from front door to back door.

If there is a bump i.e. the doors are at different levels. The dealer needs to adjust the door striker plate which governs how far the door is pulled in when closed. This may then cause the door to be pulled in tighter, thus stopping the fretting at the top.

If there is no bump, the top of the door needs "adjusting". For this, the dealer will put down the window, remove the interior door panel and then bend the top of the door inwards slightly.
On these cars, this is very hard as the cars are so strong. The dealer will be careful to bend the door in the correct amount so that the window will still be rise up and down it's channel OK.

This sounds a little harsh, but the bend on the door is actually a tiny amount.

Once these works are completed, the door will now be held in tighter against the body, not allowing the fretting movement.

Matt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts