MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been quoted £153 to replace my nearside front wheel bearing (ZS180).

Seems like a lot - am I being diddled ? He said £52 for the part and 2 hours labour

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just been quoted £153 to replace my nearside front wheel bearing (ZS180).

Seems like a lot - am I being diddled ? He said £52 for the part and 2 hours labour
Its a good price for both as you should replace bearings in pairs, I think the fronts are easier than the rears, £50 is the going rate for a pair of MGF bearings from the original supplier, dont know what ZS ones cost but they will be honda items so mass produced not rare like some of the ZS bits.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Single ZS front wheel bearings were going for about £50 four years ago from motor factors.

Spectre - I agree that to change in pairs would be 'best practice', but is it really essential (especially if it's a bit on the expensive side)?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Single ZS front wheel bearings were going for about £50 four years ago from motor factors.

Spectre - I agree that to change in pairs would be 'best practice', but is it really essential (especially if it's a bit on the expensive side)?
Would you buy one new shoe if you broke one?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Fair comment - in this same way, I would buy brake pads by the axle set and similarly for discs (although I've known of people change one at a time!)

slightly different comparisons, but fair nonetheless . . . .

You buy a new pair of P-Zero tyres 1500 miles ago and had a puncture because of a nail in the sidewall of one tyre - can't be repaired, do you buy one tyre or two?

A head lamp bulb fails on the NS - do you change the OS as well?

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Thats pants. Things like springs and shockers, brake parts..things that change their properties as they ware and get older yes, but a wheel bearing performs in the same manner until its had it.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
Its a good price for both as you should replace bearings in pairs, I think the fronts are easier than the rears, £50 is the going rate for a pair of MGF bearings from the original supplier, dont know what ZS ones cost but they will be honda items so mass produced not rare like some of the ZS bits.
I take it the fronts need to be pressed in and out?? The rears are very easy to do, 20 mins each tops.wheel aff, caliper and disc aff, hub nut aff and remove. :)

So purely on fact of not needing a press rears probably easier imo:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I take it the fronts need to be pressed in and out?? The rears are very easy to do, 20 mins each tops.wheel aff, caliper and disc aff, hub nut aff and remove. :)

So purely on fact of not needing a press rears probably easier imo:)
Rover book time for r & r a front hub bearing is 1.3 hours but that assumes you have access to suitable press adaptors and that nothing is seized.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sure! If it was a good match and they were prepared to sell me just the one shoe! :D

I've Been getting MOT advisories for the past 3 years about slight play in nearside front hub bearings. It's a bit unusual cause the car had only done about 30K when this was first noted. I can't say I feel or hear anything amiss while driving. Is a worn hub the only thing that could explain this? And would I be completely mad to consider undertaking the job myself? My experience only extends to changing pads.

And I just noticed today that I presented my car for MOT 6 weeks before the old MOT expired. :bh

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have never herd that before! Why would you bother changing two bearings if it's only one that's gone....? pointless really. Shockers/springs/tyres perhaps if you have money to burn. But if a bearing hasn't got movement or noise then there's nothing wrong with it.

That doesn't seem a bad price. It's more involved doing the front than the rear

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
That doesn't seem a bad price. It's more involved doing the front than the rear
I think the price of £50 was for a pair of bearing for a MGF . . . not fitting and not for a ZS.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Sure! If it was a good match and they were prepared to sell me just the one shoe! :D

I've Been getting MOT advisories for the past 3 years about slight play in nearside front hub bearings.
I had the same, turned out the hub nut was lose.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i wouldnt change two wheel bearings if one had gone thats pointless, as said a spring, shocker pads ect change character with age, a wheel bearing continues to go round and round regardless, provided there is no noise or play i would only change one,
as to the price id say that isnt too outrageos as guaranteed the driveshafts will be seized in ect, all the brakes will requires removed, hub ect pressed out it isnt a quick job

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I know my car/cars are looked after a hell of a lot better than your lots then. If one bearing is goosed the others not far behind it, get it changed at the same time, save money and agro of booking it in later and of course bearings wear proportionally to their age they dont work, work, work then go they wear out, its not logical to think otherwise.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i think i know my cars as well thanks very much, a wheel bearing can go for a variety of reasons, water is a common one where a floods been gone through causing the bearing to run unlubricated and then it fails, jolts in the road, or just general failures, why replace something that isnt faulty, you can feel a bearing to see if it has any roughness

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just checked my service history, yup both wheel bearings replaced, makes me happy at least.

Why service a car at all just wait for it to fail and fix it after, if a bearing fails it can take out the hub or cause an accident, if I change one I change both so I dont have an unknown element on my hands, I know many think the same.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
just check these things regularly, i replaced one wheel bearing 25,000 miles ago on the rear and the other ones still fine, youll hear a wheel bearing before it decides to fail, i know what your saying and i respect that you do that but it isnt a good practice thing in a garage with the likes of dampers ect, its not going to work out cheaper in the longrun as more than likely theyll just charge you double as its two seperate jobs in effect to change the wheel bearing unless you find a good garage that realises a lot of times envolved getting the correct tools out ect:)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
just check these things regularly, i replaced one wheel bearing 25,000 miles ago on the rear and the other ones still fine, youll hear a wheel bearing before it decides to fail, i know what your saying and i respect that you do that but it isnt a good practice thing in a garage with the likes of dampers ect, its not going to work out cheaper in the longrun as more than likely theyll just charge you double as its two seperate jobs in effect to change the wheel bearing unless you find a good garage that realises a lot of times envolved getting the correct tools out ect:)
You or I would hear it but Joe public wont which is why garages replace both, its saves time in the long run as you will only be without a car for one time not 2 seperate times. Its best practice since then both are new so should have the same mileage left in them.

Proof of this is the fact bearings are packaged in pairs, its only recently like since the begining of the recession that you could buy MGF bearings singularly.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts