MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I asked about a misfire I was trying to track down. Tried all the usual stuff to no avail but recently the car wouldn't start and it turned out to be a loose/slightly corroded wire to the starter motor. My question is, could that loose wire be the cause of a misfire? I think it must of been like it for a while and I'm sure someone said that any loose electrical wire could cause a misfire. Is this true and could it be the cause?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
If it was the positive wire to the starter motor than no it could not cause anything but the starter motor to fail. However if it was the earth return wire which the starter motor uses then yes, it could definitely cause a misfire, in fact it is quite likely to, that will be a black cable connected to the gearbox near the starter motor.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The common problem with the started is the positive contact from the ignition switch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was the positive wire to the starter motor than no it could not cause anything but the starter motor to fail. However if it was the earth return wire which the starter motor uses then yes, it could definitely cause a misfire, in fact it is quite likely to, that will be a black cable connected to the gearbox near the starter motor.
I will have a look when it's a bit lighter and report back then!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts