MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping you can give me some advice..

I currently have a 2005 54 plate mondeo tdci with some cosmetic mods (was cat c in 2009) and I have put it on the swapz site as I am wanting an MG. I have wanted an MG ZS180 (wanted the yellow one initially) for some time, however my wife prefers the MG ZT190...

I have had several offers of both, but wondered what you members who currently have these cars would recommend ??? (pros/cons etc)...

Basically my journey to work has changed from 34 to 1 1/2 miles per day so I can afford anothe V6 again (previously had vectra sri v6's and mondeo st24's)..

We have 3 kids, however it's very rare we all go out as a family in my car as we have a grand cherokee thats pretty much the family car..

Any help/advice etc greatfully accepted

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Although thats not to say the ZT is without decent handling or fun, or that the ZS is devoid of comfort or toys. Well, maybe toys - but then the whole thing is one damn big toy.
Exactly, if you get an earlier ZT with the full sports setup, the handling is outstanding. Biggest downside with the ZT is they are more expensive to put right than a ZS, clutches in particular are dear as there's a dual mass flywheel. The ZS is a much more straightforward car mechanically.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info..I'm due to meet a guy with a blue 53 plate ZT 190 this week to see whether I'm going to swap it for my mondeo...

If not I've got a meeting lined up for a silver 02 ZS 180 later on in the week...

Shame no-one wants to swap me a yellow ZS though of the age I want as I would have had that straight away 'cos I think the yellow looks great lol haha

Will let you know how I get on :)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Talking of cruising - I've driven to my Mother in laws place in Spain loads of times, 800 miles each way, used the V6 espace, V8 Range Rover, 1.4 metro, even ended up in a micra diesel once, the only car I don't get back ach in is the ZS.

I would love to add a ZT260 to the fleet but my dear wife says she doesn't like them, too much ike a grandad car she says, guess it'll be another Rage Rover when the time comes.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Talking of cruising - I've driven to my Mother in laws place in Spain loads of times, 800 miles each way, used the V6 espace, V8 Range Rover, 1.4 metro, even ended up in a micra diesel once, the only car I don't get back ach in is the ZS.

I would love to add a ZT260 to the fleet but my dear wife says she doesn't like them, too much ike a grandad car she says, guess it'll be another Rage Rover when the time comes.
You should try the full leathers, they're awesome ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just out of interest do any of the facelift parts from the mark 2 zs fit the mark 1 zs ? Thanks

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
The wording is a bit ambiguous but he mention 1.5 miles per day - is he staying overnight? Even a mile and a half is pretty damned close!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd say the ZT190 is a better all round car. Not quite as quick as a ZS because its much heavier, but I think it actually handles better (if its one of the original cars, or later with the sports option) and its certainly more adjustable on track.

Slightly bigger, more refined, definitely safer, feels much more substantial and robust.

Loads of vids of my 190 on track doing some giant killing if you search Davc001a on Youtube.

Also I remember BlueHarbour's comments after I had given him some passenger laps at Oulton:

"Thankyou VERY much fellas- had an awesome time out on track in ya various cars, and was nothing less than astonished with what's possible with what were either track prepped cars (Dave n Sie), but also (& tbh probably more so!)- GTM's totally standard ZT-190, and brynd's ALMOST standard ZS180 (cat back n Diff!) must admit i had a couple o moments of eyes wide thinking- were NEVER going round this bend THIS quick!, but then feeling nothing less than astonished when we did (time n time again!)

My respect for what the zeds can & do do round a track just gets more n more immense (the boggo ZT-190 was mind blowing tbh!) ......!"

I really enjoyed my ZS on track, but I had my ZT for 130,000 miles and absolutely loved that car.... I still miss it now after nearly a year of getting rid and believe it is the best sports saloon I've ever had...and I've had quite a few.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
It is cruel to drive a car for such a short distance tbh. Fuel economy would go out of the window as it would not even get warm on such a short run.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The wording is a bit ambiguous but he mention 1.5 miles per day - is he staying overnight? Even a mile and a half is pretty damned close!
I read it that his journey is '1.5 miles to work' which would then make it 1.5 miles from work, making a 3 mile round trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's actually 1.4 miles return trip so yes I could walk but I didn't pass my driving test many moons ago to walk (well not all the time lol)...

Think a petrol car would get warmed up more than the current diesel I've got though, and of course there's social/domestic driving too :)

Found a few nice ZT's on fleabay (and have listed my car there to sell now instead of swapping)..

Will let you know how I get on :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts