MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't say I'm a gamer, but if I was which should I buy. I tend to favour the XBox, but it is a lot of brass, when we already have PC's.

Any views and where is the best place to buy - Amazon.com?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got both, got my PS2 from my girlfiend when it first came out and got the X-Box On-line.

Both are very good, the DVD picture can be a bit iffy on X-Box but the sound is excellent and vise versa with the PS2.

Halo on the X-Box is outstanding, but still not as good as I expected. The X-Box is suppose to have 2-3 times the performance of the PS2 but it dosen't look like that is the case at the moment.

I'm waiting to get SSX Tricky on X-Box (as I already have this game on PS2) so I can compare systems more easily.

All I can suggest is either hire one or try one in your local Dixons etc and see what you think.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Resisted buying a PS2 since they came out (historically, I tend to buy most consoles when they come out). Just been nothing on it that grabs my fancy.

Difficult to compare x-box to ps2, seeing as the current ps2 games are third generation games and the xbox ones are first generation. That said, Project Gotham racing blows away GT3, both in terms of playability and graphics..

I just bought an xbox because it has the games I like playing, not because the graphics are better or anything else.

Personally, I have a proper DVD player because I think DVD playback is suspect on both machines. I certainly wouldn't buy one over the other because of DVD playback quality.

Bought mine at toys r us at the weekend... 400 quid or thereabouts with 3 games...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Interesting fact

Most games on the PS2 are soon to be released on X-Box, so i won't matter what u got....

The X-Box though has a 10 GB hard drive to save ur games on.

So if u buy 10 GB worth of PS2 memory cards then u would spend about £30,000.

£300 for the X-Box don't seem that pricey now!!!

Oh, by the way i own a PS2 and would never get any other console than a Sony. I just think Sony are a better company than Microsoft.

Happy gaming.....

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Both of my boys keep trying to persuede me to get a PS2. Suppose it means that I can 'borrow' some of the driving games that they have got. And I think that my son's steering wheel controller will fit as well !!!!!!
:D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rebate

For anybody contemplating the XBOX, they are dropping the price £100 on the 26th of April.

If you bought a real european one before the 26th of april Microsoft will send you a thank you pack, 2 free games of your choice and a controller.

Details can be found here:--

http://www.xbox.com/uk/default.htm

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'd go for the PS2 (Indeed I have one and have no plans to replace it).

Everthing's an extra on the X-box and it can get expensive (even with them dropping their knickers on the price because they've only sold 4 million units worldwide against a projected 4.5-6 million). OK, it's a faster box and the graphics hardware is better, but at the end of the day a lot of that extra speed is going to be chewed up by MicroSoft bloatware operating system underneath (face it - it's a butchered version of XP). I'm also worried about the genre spread of games on the X-box. The ones currently released all seem to be highly complex 3D jobs, and although this looks fantastic for the teenage and the club 18-30 consumer, I feel anybody outside this age group is going to be ignored (and I'm talking about 7-10 year olds - there are a number of PS2 titles which cater for this market).

I have been in a couple of situations with sales & marketing people from Microsoft where they were actively pitching the X-box. On the first instance they showed a level of intelligence less than that of an amoeba. The second time they simply lied.

Recommendations of games of the PS2:

Grand Theft Auto III (simply superb - weeks of fun)
Gran Turismo
Rayman (kids love it)

... but as I always say, taste is subjective.

·
Registered
67 Posts
TOCA Race Driver is soon to be out on the PS2, where you can drive the ZS touring car.

I agree with the previous post about only buying Sony. Sony rule.

However, there are a lot of developers who have shunned Microsoft and wont be making games for the XBox. Tehre are those who were publisized as leaving the PS2 because it was "too difficult" to program for (Abe's Odysee), but I dare say there wer alterior motives, after all the game was nigh on complete!

I get the impression that the lifespan of the PS2 is not going to be as long as the PS1 due to the high level of competition from XBox and GameCube - but saying that, if anyone can remember the PS1's hay-day, the games were pretty poor, and only once the platform really got going did the quality of the games drastically improve. The same can be said for PS2. First Generation games were pretty poor, with dodgy framerates and short draw-distances. Now that the developers have got the hang of PS2's power, the games are much better - take Grand Theft Auto for example. In my humble opinion, the best is yet to come from the PS2.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Well I've gone and got a PS2.
Decision heavily influenced by sons already havinga playstation (and some good driving games - Gran Turisimo, 007 Racing).
Noticed that Toca Race Driver can be pre-ordered from Amazon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i have PS2 and i think it is best value for money when you take into account the variety of games you can get for the PS2.

I played a few demos on the X-Brick and found the controller very hard to manage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, nearly was suckered into an "X" Box yesterday it must the X that did it. But alas, the big one MAX was with me and she said "why do you want one of those."

I got the message and it stayed on the shelf. What's this "cube" thing about from Nintendo?

Best get onto the net and get it ordered, always say it was free with my next MG?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Despite the hype, I'd still go for a PS2 - massive catalogue of games available as well as add-ons (steering wheel controllers etc).

Not long now to Toca Race Driver being available!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts