MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Lot of work gone into the tidying up and finishing off.

Getting near to the big start up soon.

Thanks for the pics.

:wave:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
More tinkering on little bits yesterday, managed to pull my shoulder lifting a wheel wrongly in the morning so nice and painful all day, enough of me whinging though and on with the pictures.

To secure the fuel pipes Dad made up a ncie little aluminium bracket...

Fitted some small brackets to help secure the front of the door windows. One of the many little jobs that seem to take forever, for example this meant completely removing the doorcards, etc...

Started piping up the fuel lines in the rear...

Oil pipes also starting to be fitted, random photo of one of the pipes from the cooler...

Finally got the car on the lift as well, need to block it higher as it's currently too low to clear for the exhaust but now we can get on with some other jobs underneath...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Little jobs being done still, no real pics from yesterday apart from a pic of one of the new tow straps and a little piece Dad made up.

Tow strap...

Oil temp sensor that needed fitting into the sump...

Take a piece of hex bar and machine and tap...

Drill and tap the middle...

Fit sensor to new piece...

Modify one of the original bottom engine mount holes...

And voila...

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Thanks for the Updates:)

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
great work as always .....liking the twin guns in the front...very james bond !

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
More tinkering and Dad has been busy while I've not been at the unit making bits and pieces for the car.

First up though, here is the octopus that now lives in the boot. in other words the fuel system is all done...

Next up we felt that air coming through the front splitter needed directing more into the radiator and oil cooler so ducting was required, voila...

Lastly, remember that we made a custom oil take-off for where the filter housing goes? Well it turned out that the outlets were fouling the exhaust and cross member when all put together so a new one was needed. Time consuming effort on Dad's behalf but this is an absolutely astounding piece of machine work, i'll let the pics explain...

And all fitted...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Well it's been a few weeks of head scratching with the speedo that we have on the Koso gauge and turns out the sensor is knackered, DOH! But a solution isn't far off, managed to find that they do a Ford Type 9 gearbox converter for the gauge so i'll be ordering one of them up tomorrow.

In the meantime we've had the gearbox off and on again to double check everything's done up and there have been lots of little jobs being done. So here are a couple of photos, no major changes though...

Inner wing panels fitted...

Prop-shaft fitted...

Gearbox cross member chopped and changed to actually fit the exhaust...

Oil pressure gauge fitted now...

Bleed screw fitted to part of the cooling system...

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Excellent! You guys are truly amazing! Don't tell me. You're brain surgeons in your spare time i guess?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
So after having Christmas, man-flu and a chronic ear infection get in the way I finally managed to get back up to the unit to tinker a bit more on the car. Completely deaf in one ear so it's quite interesting working with Dad and not being able to hear a blooming thing, but hey ho, on to some pics...

Some random shots to begin with, first up the front tow hook and it's secure little holder...

Ducting all in for the front brakes...

Exhaust hangars now in place and the exhaust mounts re-jigged to fit...

Had to shorten the rear bump stops because of the lowering blocks on the rear, so a quick spin on the lathe...

Before fitting...

Fitted bump stops...

We've had to remove the gearbox again to try and fit the new speedo sensor, now need a new extension piece so here are some random shots of clutches, etc...

We've got a type 9 from a V6, wrong extension as can be seen here...

Random internals of the bellhousing...

Modified the foot pedals to fit my colossal size 8's...

And the 'piece de la resisitance', remember the old alternator bracket...well it wasn't up to the job so a new one was required. Dad put his milling skills to practice again and came up with a neat little solution.

First alternator bracket...

Mark 2...

So that's all for now. Not much more to go and the end is in sight now!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
So in my last update I said we had a problem with the gearbox and it didn't have the right extension for the speedo drive that we have.

Here's the photo again of the mounting point blanked off on our extension piece as it's from a V6...

So trawling high and low to find a new extension was proving pretty fruitless but we did manage to find one, you can see here the piece that's missing from our current extension...

However this extension has seen better days...

What it did do though was provide a better view of how the piece we're missing corresponds to the rest of the extension...

And this piece on the other side we do have on our box...

So que the cunning plan music and Dad getting the lathe working again.

The donor extension did give us the speedo gear that we needed...

The gear usually fits through the smaller hole we're missing from our extension and would connect to our speedo sensor...

So lets make a collection of bits...

And put them all together...

And put it into place...

And then make a wee clamp to hold it in, problem solved...

Now just need to take the gearbox apart to refurbish the refurbishment as the job the company that did on it was quite frankly crap. At least if we do it it'll be done right!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
So a few delays with updates with one thing and another slowing the build down, if you're tired of waiting then here's a fish tank from Finding Nemo to keep you entertained...

Anyhoo, progress is still ongoing and the biggest hurdle was the incredibly shoddy refurbishment that the company we bought it from did so it came out and was completely stripped down to have new bearings, new blocker bars, thorough clean and replaced two of the gears as some had chunks out of them!

So currently the gearbox looks like this...

It was decided the lifter pump we bought wasn't man enough so we've swapped over our original big pump to become the lifter and bought a new main pump, should be big enough, just needs one more pipe and wiring in...

We also decided that a panhard rod was needed, so cue the music and lets make our own...

Machined block to fit on axle...

Machined block to attach to body...

Still got 11 jobs to do on the list, hopefully we can tick them all off over the next couple of weeks!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Takes me back 40 odd years. Ain't seen a baulk ring close up since then. Wonderful to see the updates. Any idea when she will be in use?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
So lots more tinkering on the car going on. First up some rerouting of piping in the fuel tank area, decided not to breath back into the tank to avoid cavitation so that all needed replumbing...

Gearbox is also now essentially rebuilt, woohoo...

It was decided that the standard fuel pressure regulator wasn't man enough so a major redesign of the fuel rail and piping needed to take place. First up a doobery was needed to mae a T-piece for 3 different sized pipes...

Then make a small threaded piece...

Then join to two...

Then plumb that in...

Make a custom mount for the new FPR...

And make custom clamps for the new fuel rail...

And voila...

Fin...

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Once again, awesome engineering skills. What would frighten me, is where you start to look if the b***er won't start? I'm sure all will be ok though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Once again, awesome engineering skills. What would frighten me, is where you start to look if the b***er won't start? I'm sure all will be ok though.
Believe me I'm sh*tting myself over that bit, it'll all be my fault with the homebrew wiring I made up. Although we know it cranks and there appears to be power to everything, fuel pumps all work, etc, fingers crossed I guess, haha!

181 - 200 of 222 Posts