MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post on here much, but thought I'd share the latest project...

About 5 years ago the old man and I bought an MGB as a restoration project. It was a rubber bumper convertible modified for a Rover V8 engine, but, it was a non-runner. After taking it apart and completely stripping it down the bodywork was found to be 'ropey' to say the least. Work started rebuilding her, but with the BRM track project it got sidelined and has sat in the unit for a few years untouched and unloved.

Now that the BRM is basically finished we decided to resurrect the project but not as a restoration. As we have enjoyed the track days so much we have decided to make it into a track car primarily because it'll be a great fun rwd car.

The big decision was whether to keep it as a V8. A few factors affected our choice in this.....firstly we had a 3.9l EFI, but tuning it would cost a pretty penny, secondly we watched the MG racing at Brands and an Elise 190 K-series engined MGB destroyed a 3.9 V8 engined MGB, and lastly we had most of the parts already for a monster K!

So here it is, the first sneak preview photo's of our MGBK. It may take a while to finish, but as i'll keep you all updated :)

Well here's where it started all those years ago. The car was bought complete (although not running) but you could tell that there were problems hiding under the skin. Unfortunately I don't have photos of the complete car.

The strip down began and eveything was removed fromthe shell, this photo gives you an idea of the car and its original colour...

It was then sent away for blasting to uncover all of those nasty little suprises...

It all doesn't look too bad form here and some areas were fine...

But there were a lot of bits that needed attention...

Sills were cut out to get at more rotten bits....

Lots of bits that needed replacing/fixing...

So that's where it all started. All of the rotten and damaged bits have either been replaced or welded up. New doors on here, she did have new fron and rear wings as well, but the recent decision to go for the Sebring kit means these have to come off now.

More to follow :)

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Cool project, looking forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mini update....(no pictures)

Windscreen is on to allow for measuring and fitment of the rollcage. Also the front coilover suspension (read pain in the bottom) is coming together slowly, but it's a weighty bit of kit!

Lots of bits being bought as well and we had the new HG, bolts, oil ladder delivered! It's the brand new Chinese jobby with the uprated bolts and gasket and I must say the gasket looks very impressive. It's almost thick enough to work as a de-comp plate, something like 7 layers!! I'll grab some pics when I'm at the unit in a couple of weeks :)

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Put on two new sills on my MGB GT few years back, so know how much works gone into yours. Got rid of that one when the front spring hanger mounting, rear o/s needed welding up. As you get older the fun goes out of having Mig weld dropping on your head.

Thats why I got the ZS.

I dont know how they get a V8 into the engine bay, your project will be interesting to see on the track. Will you take it out at Brands?? Have to pop along and see it.

Best of luck with the work and hope it all goes smoothly.

:wave:

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
What two great looking MGB's.

Engine bay looks like its just come out of the factory.

Can see lots of quality work and time has gone into getting the car to that high standard.

Best of luck with the racing.

:wave:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got to the unit last weekend and finally cleared out a bunch of parts that were cluttering up the downstairs. This meant that the B could be rolled out of the corner and put onto the lift, then the spinner taken off for the first time in about 3/4 years!!

So now she's 'floating' on the lift we can mount the suspension/axles and get some makeshift wheels on her so the rollcage can be fitted and engine mocked up in place.

One small niggle with the front suspension was that the cross member is held in place by 4 bolts with rubber 'lipped' bushes that hold the bolts in place. This seemd crazy, as if the rubber deteriorates, the bolts will just 'flop' about in the holes. Cue some aluminium bushes being made to replace these and 'firm-up' the front end a bit. Might have some issues with shock transference but should be ok and should definitely tighten the steering a wee bit.

So today after Dad made up some spacers we set to getting the suspension all on.

Offending hole...

Old bolts and spacers...

New home made spacers...

Front suspension gubbins....

And all mounted for mocking-up purposes....

Then it was onto the rear and putting the diff together...

Quaife, mmmm.....

Leaf springs on the rear...

Diff all in and mounted :D

Hubs to go on next and then she can go onto some wheels to weld in the rollcage...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More cage action from this latest set of photo's.

Changed the windscreen bar and put in the roof cross bar...

A spot of grinding...

Side lower bars...

B-pillar cross and lower bar tacked in...

Usually the rear bars on MGB's go forward of the rear bulkhead for ease, but we didn't like the angle so took a more drastic approach.

Holes cut in rear bulkhead and boxes made for the rear bars...

Rear bars mocked in place...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had to make brackets for the hard top and get it fitting properly as it's not a standard piece. Pretty much mounted now, still got a lot of prep work to do on it though. Also the wing is trial mounted now, brackets are still in rough so still need some work...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Ollie, we ordered the coilovers direct from Gaz. The mounting blocks, etc, were from Moss but I think we'll have to make some custom parts to get the car a bit lower. Wont really know until the engine is in and fully dressed, but she does seem to sit a bit high at the moment.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts