MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some members have been asking about my BTCC ZS project, so here's the story so far!

There's loads more pictures on my facebook page for those who have it

The project started eons ago when I bought one of the spare MG ZS Touring Car shells from what was then RSM. George had rescued it from a breakers yard after the garage that owned it went to selling another brand.

After 2 years of sitting outside being abused it was in a bit of a state

Most of the bodykit was either hanging off or damaged - or sometimes both. There was rust and deep dings in a few places and the front bumper was totally rotten.

Shortly after arriving at Dreadnought Racing in Callendar, we dropped one of the spare 2ltr turbo engines had for my last track car into it with the PG1 gearbox from a ZS 180 and a new clutch. This one came from a 420 (I think) and allegedly has forged internals. I'm not too fussed as I only bought it because it relaibly ran and was needed to get the car moving while I re-build the racing engine.

Then it went to Stainless Creations for a straight through exhaust

It then went to Autotechnique in Larbert where the whole car was stripped down and the damage fixed. Unfortunately this ment taking off all the graphics and a full re-spray. I found 9 different paint jobs on the boot lid ranging from the first fat stripe design right to the last viper stripes.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...98341272_100000455006145_542753_3555626_n.jpg

It also became apparent that the car had spent some time in team Atomic Kitten colours of yellow and black

Once all the filling and smoothing was done the bodykit was stuck back on, most of which had to be made again from scratch by Autotechnique.

Then it all went a bit drastic and I decided to scrap the idea of it being a racing replica and went totally in my own direction (with some help from my girlfriend Susan who picked the colour - Vauxhall Galcier White!)

A new front bumper was also made to replace the rotten original. it actually turned out better than the original I think and it a fair bit lighter.

And as it arrived back at Dreadnought 4 months later

There's been alot of activity with it recently, including new custom AVO coilovers, a 1 off 400bhp intercooler, custom 3" exhaust system, Lifeline snap off steering wheel and Fire extinguisher system, DTA engine management and a digital dashboard.

Mapping is being carried out in the next few weeks so hopefully it will be starting soon for the first time, ever!

I've also been trying to get the AP big brake kit sorted out, which has been a total nightmare but is getting there eventually

It still needs custom calliper mounts made up, which will also hopefully be finished off soon. An AP Racing bias lever was added to the system to keep the back brakes from locking up too much.

It's been out to a few shows this summer with good results. It managed to get onto the Max Power "car of the show" stand at the Scottish Modified Car show, and had alot of interest at Knockhill recently when it was at the Scottish Tuning Show - but it won't be out again now until it's finished and working properly.

There's still alot left to do as the car is sitting currently without any brakes, driveshafts, clutch actuator and as yet hasn't even been started! The fuel system is almost finished with an ATL fuel cell and TVR racing fuel pump mounted in the boot.

After that it'll be going alot of track time to fine tune it before doing every track night I can find.

Along the way it'll be getting a passenger seat - which is alot harder than it sounds as the lightweight bodyshell was never designed for two seats. The drivers seat actually bolts onto part of the roll cage!

I'm also hoping to get the air jacks working too, mainly because a 2 post ramp won't fit under it now.

anyway that's it so far, comments welcome as always!

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers dude, and it better be! It's near enough bankrupt me getting this far

I know it'll all be worth it when it's running properly round Knockhill

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
you already know what i think mate !

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Looks fantastic!:yup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
cool2

Very very nice job, fancy selling it ;)

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys, it's great to know the work is appreciated

It's been a long slog and I wouldn't be here today without Dreadnought

Reactions: penfold118

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Looks great, very subtle in white will get a few double takes. White was Austin/Rovers motorsport colors at one point, all 6R4's were white when new.

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words

the iids still very much a work in progress, but here's a few of how it looks just now

Not got any of the digital dash fitted yet, and the whole thing needs a damn good clean!

and some new shoes that turned up the other day

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Love to see it on track, have to let us know when you will be out and about. Hope you come down south some day.

:wave:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts