MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a nats whisker away from buying a high mileage 2004 KS180 but need to know a couple of things first, on the Facelifted model, are the engines still as prone to Gasket failure? And is there any way to tell whether the gasket has been uprated?

The other thing is are the boot lids prone to leaking? There is a tiny patch of mould on the parcel shelf, but I could not find the source.

I have always loved these beautiful cars (especially the wide arch models) and have finally convinced the missus that it is the car for us for the next year. If it passes my independent check and the history checks out (was the cam belt done at 90, etc) then I will be on here each day to pester you with questions, probably. Cheers!

Dave

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
The ZS180 has the KV6 engine which is not prone to HGF. You must be thinking of the 4 pot K series engines.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am, I remember when I owned a TF130 the MG mechanic said all K series engines had problems with the head gasket.

Thanks for the clarification.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Not saying the V6 will not have HGF but it is very very very rare compare to the K4 engines.

Good luck with the car, presume its a hatch as you are asking about boot lid leaking onto parcel shelf?

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think the thermostat housing is the weak point in the cooling system on the V6.

In the middle of the V, if you see orangey looking wet patch, its leaking.

Can get upgraded alloy one, or o/e plastic one, but watch the O rings on the fuel lines, if you take them off.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sounds like you know about the belts, can cost up to £900/£1000 at some dealers, search on here and costs come down £600 odd +.

Clutch is other area to look at, Sheddist kit, is an upgrade to metal and beefed up parts to replace the plastic oe stuff.

Not sure on leaks, but have read that rust can get under the two rubber strips on the roof, have to slide them out to check, and just check all the rubber seals. Bit lower down in the boot water can get in behind the gasket on the rear lights. Also where the rear bumper is fixed to the wings is another entry point.

But your leak sounds a bit higher up, best of luck with the car.

:wave:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, just wondering, is the Aux Belt changed with the other belts?

Also how will I know if the clutch is on its way out? Test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering, is the Aux Belt changed with the other belts?

Also how will I know if the clutch is on its way out? Test drive tomorrow.
All the belts should be done at the same time.

The problem isn't the clutch itself, it's the operating mechanisum, the peddle is really high as standard so you can ignore that.

The car may have had the upgrade anyway, there will be a very small (motorcycle) plastic cylinder in front of the coolant header tank.

·
Registered
200 Posts
All the belts should be done at the same time.

The problem isn't the clutch itself, it's the operating mechanisum, the peddle is really high as standard so you can ignore that.

The car may have had the upgrade anyway, there will be a very small (motorcycle) plastic cylinder in front of the coolant header tank.
Nearly every picture of a ZS I see for sale doesn't have a sheddist kit on it. Makes me feel chuffed that I have one :)

Also, where abouts in Norfolk are you Pompski? If the belts need doing then these chaps in Southend are very reasonable. I need to get mine done in Feb so we both go down there lol
http://www.britishlegends.co.uk/services.html

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks guys. I ended up walking away from the deal.

The test drive was great. What an amazing car to drive!

Unfortunately I could see a 'crack' in the auxilary belt, far to much mould in the boot/parcel shelf, orange gunk under the filler cap, both bumpers had massive droop and the spoiler was literally hanging off! Oh and there was literally a whole pedals worth of play in the clutch.

One thing is for sure though, I definetly want one. A Mk2 Saloon/Hatch, the search continues.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh I know, the bodywork issues were the least worrying aspects but the spoiler definetly should not have been hanging off either. It stinks of bad ownership. Add to that the dodgy oil cap/crack in the belt and I just decided it isnt worth it, I'll wait for the right one to come along!

If anyone around Tyneside/Portsmouth/Norfolk knows of any, id love to see them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeh thanks I am actually looking at the moment.

I think im going to focus on looking for a Facelift model. But cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts