MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well been thinking about it for a while, then went off the idea and was thinking of some smaller rover 75 washer jets or mazda 6 ones as i dislike the large rover 45 ones, so went scrappy trawling yesterday as it was £26 on ebay for 1 used rover 75 headlamp washer, no luck looking until i stumlbed upon a renault something or other(sazatche or something same size as an espace) with nice flat fitting pop up headlamp washers, result
so went back today and got both washer jet, all the pipework and the high pressure pump for a grand total of £18...lol

so just trial fitting one just now and im going to need to modify the crash bar slightly...no big deal infact will actually make them easier to mount

heres a picture of how its going to look, i was cringing as i hacked the bumper though i have to say

thoughts?:)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah:) just need to do some modifying to get the actual mechanism at the back to fit though

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right few more pics, crash bar now modified(hacked) so the washers can sit correctly and so the bumper caps will sit flush to the bumper, need to tidy up the holes in the bumper with a file try doing that tomorrow during the day,
just back from halfords with fibreglass but unfortunatly its now dark so il wait till tomorrow to afix to the bar, really pleased with how its worked out so far,

piping and the washer units

how the washer unit will fit behind the bumper

imagine them silver and i hope thats how they will end up sitting all going well and good

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
done off hydraulic pressure, the pumps pretty meaty, its to pass the MOT as i have HID headlights they need to have washers, been told by the moter that the leveler switch in the car is suffiecient for the self leveling part so this is the best way i could see to do it, it should look better than the o/e setup when done, well i hope so anyway

·
Registered
608 Posts
Did the ZS/45 come with OEM HIDs?
I thought the new MOT regs effectively banned aftermarket HID kits as they require type approval? As talked about here.

In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
and

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
done off hydraulic pressure, the pumps pretty meaty, its to pass the MOT as i have HID headlights they need to have washers, been told by the moter that the leveler switch in the car is suffiecient for the self leveling part so this is the best way i could see to do it, it should look better than the o/e setup when done, well i hope so anyway
:crackup so the manual level switch is ok as a self levelling system?
Good work on the install. You are a brave man cutting holes in the bumper. If they work the same as the ones on my old ST and Jag they use water pressure to force the nozel out. Be careful in the winter months because they have a habit of freezing up and if you use them they can end up stuck out because of the frozen water. I was never a fan tbh and couldn't see how good they would be until i used them. They are really good at cleaning the lamps.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah ive seen the new sheets and it raises the question and basically must have washers and be self leveling, iput a thing up about it a while ago cnat remeber which forum though

and bilbo..in my eyes no but the moter at work assures me this will be fine..so as long as it passes haha, if it did come to it id just put the level sensors on the suspension and take the loom up into the arch, cant really see how they would test it to see if it was working

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ask your mot station theyre view on the leveler system, or if they would pass it if it has washers,

if you are looking id advise going to a breakers yourself as a pop up pump without cap seems around 50-60 on ebay as far as ive seen

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
nah ive seen the new sheets and it raises the question and basically must have washers and be self leveling, iput a thing up about it a while ago cnat remeber which forum though

and bilbo..in my eyes no but the moter at work assures me this will be fine..so as long as it passes haha, if it did come to it id just put the level sensors on the suspension and take the loom up into the arch, cant really see how they would test it to see if it was working
If it's self levelling you don't have a switch to change the beam. A sensor (usually at the back of the car) does it for you. even when you are driving it constantly adjusts the beam so it isn't too high. I looked into the rules of HID lights when i had my ZS and from what i remember no car can be fitted with HID's unless it came from the factory with them. It doesn't matter that they may have all the right boxes ticked. IIRC ALL HID's are illegal in the UK but we have to allow them because they're legal in Europe. It is a grey area and i'm sure you won't have any problems with getting MOT fails or pulled up by the police but if you have a crash and the insurance company find out you had HID's i would think they would null the insurance.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive never had an issue with the police with the xenons and if i did i would just say i thought its fine as it passed the MOT like it, i always dip mine down though unless im out in the countryside so they shouldnt really be dazling anyone

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's self levelling you don't have a switch to change the beam. A sensor (usually at the back of the car) does it for you. even when you are driving it constantly adjusts the beam so it isn't too high. I looked into the rules of HID lights when i had my ZS and from what i remember no car can be fitted with HID's unless it came from the factory with them. It doesn't matter that they may have all the right boxes ticked. IIRC ALL HID's are illegal in the UK but we have to allow them because they're legal in Europe. It is a grey area and i'm sure you won't have any problems with getting MOT fails or pulled up by the police but if you have a crash and the insurance company find out you had HID's i would think they would null the insurance.
i know what you mean bilbo and i agree with what your saying, but i wasnt going to argue with the MOTer haha:p

worst comes to the worst il just take the HIDS out, as its not a big deal but i would prefer to keep them

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
I find alot of the factory fit HID to be way too high and blind you. Get 5500K not 6000K because they look too much like aftermarket HID's. I think you have to be pretty unlucky to get stopped by the police, it's the insurance i would (and did) worry about.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my insurance seemed pretty lax when i had to deal with them last time, i think because its a traders policy, they never looked at the car at all

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
my insurance are pretty lax when i had to deal with them last time as its a traders policy, they never looked at the car at all
Yeah but if you are involved in a dispute worth ££££££ then they would be a bit more on the ball.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts