MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has or can anyone beat this,now been pulled 3 times in 3 bloody weeks,all for supposed spot checks,the third one tho checked my car for drugs,bloody cheek,this is why i have no respect for the police and to top it of along brighton seafron the second time i got pulled,while giving me the third degree about"have i told my insurance company that my wheels have been sprayed black?"an orange ford st flew past at god knows what speed and they didnt blink an eye lid,they have nothing better to do than pick on people with nice cars and think probaly that there either stolen or goin for a ram raid!!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think my yellow one must stand out or something, every time we go away on holiday, we get stopped.

Gives them a bit of a surprise when a OAP crawls out.

Never been stopped in any other cars, MGBGT's, Mg Midgets, Volvo 440 turbo.

·
Flying the Flag
212 Posts
I've been stopped Twice in the past 8 weeks, never had any problem in the TF, or the ZS MkI 120 but since I got the MkII with the 180 kit they are attracted like flies to the proverbial.

The last time, which was Monday evening. I was parked up on the seafront, watching the world go by with a bag of chips and this police car pulls up behind me, so I couldn't go anywhere obviously and next thing I know there's two coppers sniffing around my car and knocking on my window.
The time before was in Hastings for a "Vehicle check" going round doing the tyre pressures and checking for other silly things.
as soon as he saw it had a MG Owners Club badge on it he said "can't say we get much trouble with members of clubs like that" and sent me on my way.

I reckon its just Sussex Police mate, they must have some chip on their shoulder about MG's!

Alex

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Only ever been stopped once 5 minutes after buying the car for illegal tints. Nothing in the 3 years since.

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Up until two months ago I had never been stopped in 7 years of driving, then got stopped three times in a month. Once was my fault for a number plate 'infringment', the other 2 because I was driving through town at 2am.....

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You can't really argue the toss here guys. A couple of you have been pulled on a seafront where no doubt a lot of that street racing stuff goes on, and another at 2.00am in the morning.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
"The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."

Just kidding, I love that quote though.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Been stopped only the once in the zs, because I had dark tinted rear lenses on the car at the time, it was foggy and they said they couldn't see me very well following me.

They were as nice as pie to me. No problem. :)

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
I was never pulled in 4 and a half years of driving my old Trophy Yellow ZS180 with picnic spoiler, 3"Piper catback zorst and ITG Maxogen.:)

I didn't hang around sometimes and I used to love caning it to hear the noise!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
What is much more likely is that they are looking out for certain suspects and your car must match it, or the type. They have people they are watching who drive certain cars and check that type jn a certain area just in case. I'd rather that than having crap police who don't catch no one. Nothing to hide nothing to worry. They probably won't do it again if you're not an arse with them.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Guess what, today helped the son in law to pick up a play house, won on ebay for 2 of the grandkids.

Driving into Salisbury,Transit Luton, 10 reg. hire van, police waved us in, just checking commercials to make sure you are wearing seat belts. Lucky we were all belted up.

Just dont know when and where, you will get stopped!!!

:wave:

·
FWD V6 & RWD V8 Driver
92 Posts
they have nothing better to do than pick on people with nice cars
No, they pick on high risk drivers. If you're not just being pulled randomly[1] then you're doing something wrong.

I've never been pulled over in my 180. In 30,000 miles per year.

[1] Coincidence happens and you might get several random checks in a short space of time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd rather that than having crap police who don't catch no one. Nothing to hide nothing to worry. They probably won't do it again if you're not an arse with them.
Exactly. If your car was stolen then you would want the police to be stopping your car to check it out. It is their job to be suspicious.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The nearest I came to being stopped in my 180 was when we were in Scotland, we had a driver change and I missed the speed limit change as I belted back onto the dual carrageway, luckly I saw the police car in the distance in the mirror, checked out for speed limit signs on the lamp posts, dropped into the traffic and gave a high standard drive for the next few miles as they followed us, eventually we pulled up at some traffic lights, they pulled along side and then drove on.

However I've been stopped and had the car searched several times when boarding ferries, it happened everytime since I've had the 180 until this year when I'd had my 13" ponytail reduced to a more regular shoulder length haircut.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Exactly. If your car was stolen then you would want the police to be stopping your car to check it out. It is their job to be suspicious.
We all know the police do a great job, but we also know some cars attract a lot of attention.

Makes me laugh when a police car goes by, always get a very carefull look over, now, I check in the mirror to see if its done a U turn.

Still the police will be the first ones we turn too if in trouble.

Think it cuts both ways, I always try to be polite and helpfull, and 99% of the time the police are OK and explain the whys and what if's. Have met some that seem to have seen too many American Police Stop programmes and are aggressive from the start. Which then gets your back up, but you know you cant win.

Suppose they have off days as well, I now ensure that I comply with all the speed limits, (and around Bournemouth you have to read all the signs, 20,30, Ring road goes from 70, to 50 to 40, back up to 50 then down to 30, all over couple of miles and covered with speed cameras) so I suppose it works.

:wave:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I never had a problem with plod in the couple of years I had the mk2 Zed.

I did, on a number of occasions, have the people in front of me pull over and let me past because the mk2 ZS looked so menacing in the rear view mirror, I wasn't even close to them or looking to overtake.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Makes me laugh when a police car goes by, always get a very carefull look over:wave:
They are probably admiring your car, I would be!

You are also right about what you say about some cars attracting more attention than others, cars with body kits and big spoilers are going to be looked at, they stand out. A lot of officers at work go on the theory that if the car is either highly modified or distinctive then chances are that the driver will be insured MOT'd etc as they almost certainly expect to get stopped. I tend to leave those cars alone (although do like to have a good gawp if it is a nice car!).

The other thing you need to remember is that the chances are the officers that pulled you over had no idea you were pulled before. I get it sometimes at work, "I was stopped by you lot last week, why are you harassing me?"

I explain I have never met them before and have no idea when/if they were stopped before. I have never been stopped in my ZS and have had it for 5 years and drive around at strange times due to my shifts, I was never stopped in my modified Saxo either so I guess it is just luck of the draw, you are not being targeted!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts