MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was telling me you can have MG'S set up in police mode to get better performace? anyone heard of this?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
It takes about 10 mins to have done. It is a different option on the 'test book' when being set up at PDI but can also be done later bt the main dealer.
A different set up is downloaded into the ECU resulting in higher torque being available at lower down the rev range, but at the expense of top end speed.
As its an mGR approved set of settings and is done by the dealers and nothing is physically changed it should not affect any warranty.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
There was some discussion about this a little while ago on the powertrain and drivetrain section (under MGR technical).

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Not sure if you ask to have it done but I beleive some people have had it done free.
Apparently its an option for dealers to do if a customer complains of lack of power in the lower rev range.

G

·
So what do ask the dealer " I would like my car converting to Police mode" Knowing my luck he'll laugh and give me a ticket:D

does it effect the insurance

·
Registered
89 Posts
I caled the garage today and asked about this option, they told me they dont have the option of witch tune to download to the car, but if I find the disk that contains said tune they could do it for £32.

Can anyone tell me the disk version for the car so as I can see about getting it done.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All dealers should have this, Its a factory option. If they dont I am sure they could get it! I will ask my local dealer today. will post what they say later!

G

·
As i thought, I ask my local dealer in Chorley, he said Police what. He had never heard of it but he did say if you could get more info or a dealer that has done it he would look further into it;)

G

·
I would ask Kernahans . I mentioned it to Martin a while back and he said why bother - the current ZED's are programmed to get the best out if their engines reliably.

Or if you ARE desperate I'm sure they will take your money and do it for you. :D

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
I'm a ZR+120 owner of 5 weeks and my local dealer SGL Preston was very obliging and changed my zed to police mode for free. It takes just a few minutes.

Basically a lap-top computer is connected to the car via a connector near to the clutch pedal I believe and the car's ECU is set to whatever market it is sold to. Police mode is just one of the options available.

I'm told it is available for ALL zed saloons and I have proof positive of ZR and ZS models being done.

Some dealers have claimed ignorance in the matter and admittedly it was I who educated SGL Preston about it 4 weeks ago having never had a similar request before.

All dealers should have the relevant disk. I'm told Police mode is an option available right from the very start and shouldn't need to be 'found' in any complex menu structure for the dealer.

Charging you to do it seems a bit rich.

Edited by Admin

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Is my ZR+120 any quicker from having had Police Mode sorted?

Sorry but I can't answer that one. I had it done after owning the vehicle for less than a week and in that time I had been quite gentle on my little baby so had no idea of its performance capabilities.

However, from what I read of the technical side of things, (on another BBS which I am prohibited from mentioning) whilst the effect is more pronounced on the VVC engine, there should still be a performance increase however small on the other Zed engines.

In addition, as the set-up is an official MGR setting carried out by an official MGR dealer in accordance with MGR instructions, this is not equivalent to 'chipping' and as such we are of the opinion your insurance company need know nothing of the exercise. Indeed, I have read reports of MGR dealers activating Police Mode when people complain of sluggishness. Thus even without realising it, some of us may already be on Police Mode and without our insurance companies knowing.

Obviously, when you start 'chipping' you are best advised to tell your insurance company.

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Hey ffcphone nice to see a fellow Prestonian on here.
I get my cars from SGL also, mainly because my dad works there.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Roverman...you might want to tell your Dad I don't think much of the after sales service, despite the wonderful wordings posted up all over Riversway about how much they really do care about their customers. Salesman top marks. Nice bloke. Hassled him a lot and been very helpful. After sales ****e!

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
I quite agree mate. My 2000 R25 went in almost 20 times to get some simple faults fixed. Some faults never got fixed and I just gave up in the end.
My car is due for renewal next month and I might try Syd Browns at Longridge this time as they seem better. They fitted me a new rear bumper when a stupid woman ran into the back of me on Garstang road. Absolutely perfect service. SGL almost put me off Rover and had me looking at other brands.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
My secretary at work and her husband come from Longridge and have been Rover customers for years...very faithful and always with Syd Brown...until last car change when they said they'd got fed up with the poor service in Longridge and gone to SGL instead. They've not really had time to compare SGL but that put me off straight away. Personal comments, +ve or -ve, are always a very useful pointer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys,

First post from me on this forum. Picked up the ZS180 5 dr yesterday. I had asked the dealer (Arriva in High Wycombe) to set it up in Police mode. When I collected the car I got "that has to be done at the factory".

I was surprised to see that no "first" service is required at 600 - 1000 miles. I am not too happy to leave the original oil in until 15,000/12 months so I 'll probable get them to do an early oil change and make sure they have sorted out the Police mode issue.

Isn't it a *ugger keeping the revs down for running in!!

Chris.

G

·
As anyone had the ECU reprogammed to Police Mode?

A garage "service manager" is bestowing its virtues elsewhere on the internet.

I asked him the following 4 questions:

So what's the benefit?
Is it an approved modification by MGR?
Does it affect warranty?
Should an MGR franchise be messing around with ECU's?

Answers

Torque appears to come in lower down. Valuable Comment - APPEARS???
It's there, so why not? Frightening response!!
No
Yes, if they know what they are doing ;-)

Finally, the following I forgot to ask him.

How does it affect your insurance policy!
And, if it is of so much benefit, why don't MGR programme the ECU's in this way at the factory. Remember the ECU's have already been reprogammed from the Rover standard for the ZEDS!

I'll certainly leave my ZS well alone!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
I've had my ZR+120 put into Police Mode. Dealer did it for free in about 20 mins within 7 days of taking delivery of car 3 months or so ago.

(1) According to the technical boffins, torque characteristics true, though I don't think anyone has confirmed this with hard physical data, perhaps due to being short of a rolling road!

(2) As for "approved mod", how can it be classed as a "mod" in the first place? It's an official option available to MGR dealers on PDI. It's merely a different ECU set-up just like your Zed would be set-up different if it were going to Japan as opposed to a UK market. Also, I've heard reports suggesting that dealers often put cars into Police Mode anyway if customers complain of a lack of power. So even without knowing it, your Zed might be put into Police Mode.

(3) As official MGR PDI option, surely no warranty considerations at all. My MGR dealer couldn't see a problem.

(4) As for "messing around", that's precisely what they do when PDIing a vehicle before you collect it. If they didn't, your car wouldn't operate properly.

(5) Insurance. Not told mine and don't see why I need to. The car has had no external modification to it. I've not stuck a performance exhaust on, there's no induction kit (yet!), I've not chipped it. It's merely playing around with MGR's own settings by my authorised MGR dealer.

(6) You'll have to ask MGR why not!

Findlay

1 - 20 of 54 Posts