MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have ordered one and it should be on the car by the end of this week.

I have also been looking about for other power mods, "Guess what"

Nothing happening just yet but I did talk with a nice chap who wanted to try fitting a supercharger, I think I will wait a while as the cars only done 5k.

Anyone fitted the viper kit as I would like to hear your comments.

Soon as I've tested mine I will update this thread.

180 Boy

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The viper kit is a heat shielded kit, much like my home made jap style one. With a decent supply of fresh, dense air you should be looking at a decent amount of brake. I gained a decent useablt 7 bhp over standard, not loads but this did make a difference driving it. You should notice more on a v6 aswell, good luck !!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Got any information or piccies of the Viper kit, the only one I have seen is the Motobuild.Pipercross kit.

And Pipers website isn't very up to date, neither saying that is K&Ns, so I haven't been able to source any info.

Any care to enlighten me??

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pipercross viper indution kit

If you want more info, phone pipercross to find out your closest dealer, they are very helpful.

Most reports have been good, but these are on other types of car, could not find any V6 reports although I'm quite optimistic and anticipate between 5 to 10 bhp increase.

I also ride a motorbike Yamaha R1, so, forced ram air induction technology is not new to me, it's been fitted on bikes for years and works well.

As and when I have tried and tested in the real world i.e. not a rolling road with pretty graphs but on the real road I will post my views.

This seems to be the first go faster piece of kit for the ZS180, I have spoken to various chip companies and programmer’s who re-map ECU’s and none of them are dabbling as yet. I did have an interesting conversation with a supercharger supplier who has sold a few units to “A Company” who fill fit and test.
Wonder who that is then!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Hiya,

I think 5-10bhp is very optimistic for just changing the air filter. You might get that if you add de-cat and change the backbox as well....

Just my opinion....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Seem a bit pricey to me @ £128 + Vat (Motobuild one), for what is essentially just an air filter and a bit of tube.

I'm not sure about the 90deg bend either, surely a smoother radius curve might be better?? or maybe just a length of Samco hose as this wouldn't condense up as easily.

Talking about 5 - 10 BHP increase, depends how crap the original filter is, I couldn't believe the length of it when I pulled mine out ;-)

Stu

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Stu, Moto-build filter is the Pipercross filter. MB worked with Pipercross to get in onto the market.

Maybe in the future there will be a MKII with less of a right angle. But there in not much room for a filter or options on how to fit! One solution maybe to fit some sort sleeve to smooth the air flow.

I'm sure there is room for improvement and it will come in time!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This Pipercross has no heat shield. You would be lucky to get 3-4 BHP with this kit, no way noticeable on a 180 Bhp car already. All this kit will od is make a load of noise and suck in heat under bonnet air that will do no good for your power output. If this was a full Viper kit from pipercross then you would me much better off !

With the right kit and the right feed a 'useable' amount of gain should be easy to obtain.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pipercross viper air induction kit

Just to clear up this confusion

I have purchased a PiperCross Viper Air Induction Kit which includes the relevant length of air intake pipe to be fitted from the inlet side of the filter and which will terminate on the front grill.

This adds up to a piece of flexible tube from the grill to an air filter (with carbon fibre heat shield)
So the end result will be nice new fresh air (forced) into the filter etc, etc

Hope this clears it up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
.........and what is the cost of this Viper kit?

is it one of the universal ones? or Model specific?

be interested to know the results too

Cheers

Stu

G

·
John

A modifications such as an "Induction Kit" would invalidate the warranty. Fit one but do not goto your dealer with a problem with one fitted. I know I spoke to Kernahans about such a thing on the 1.8i "F" we had and that was the "official line". I'm sure in future "official" MGR parts maybe available. This same topic has caused many problems with Colt Cars for those who expect to keep a warranty intact after fitting none Mitsubishi aftermarket parts.

With respect to insurance - if you don't tell your company you have modified your car in any shape or form the policy is invalidated. If you want i could list the all the loadings that aftermarket exhausts and induction kist do to your policy.

For example on my EVO, an induction kit is a 30% loading.

That said, when I do the very ocassional track day - I have no insurance - stupid or what?

Finally, I saw a Pipercross kit fitted to a ZS180 - looks nice - sounds nice. It is fitted just behind the rad which obviously means it doesn't get too much "Cold" air. The owner was aware of this and is looking at some appropriate ducting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Guys
For those interested in Roger Parkers induction kit test he has now posted some very interesting results on

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/

Hope Roger won't mind, but I have copied his comments below:

Roger Parker wrote:

Further to my previous posts on the subject of my testing of a prototype ITG induction system on my ZS 180, well with nearly 1400 miles since fitting I am able to show some interesting results.

The car currently has approaching 6000 miles and the period up to the fit of the ITG has seen an average consumption of 29.2mpg. Since the fit and operating the car over the same main routes has seen the consumption improve to 30.27mpg over 1315 miles.

Today I have also had an opportunity for the car to be run up on the John Wilcox Racing rolling road, both in completely standard form, (an hours refit of the original equipment) and in modified form. (another hour!)

Without listing every single figure, which for the total of six power runs, three for each spec, the overall seat of the pants feelings were confirmed, not quite as good as the similar kit for MGF, but then the induction system on the ZS is quite a bit better in standard form.

As an simplistic average the power was increased by 7% and torque by 6.8%. In more useful detail the 2000 to 4500rpm area, where so much driving is done showed an average increase in power of 9% and torque a smidgen under this. The ITG allowed top end power to hang on much better so instead of seeing a reduction of power from 6000rpm with standard, the power carried on up with a useful extra chunk at 6500rpm. The figures show an increase of 10.15% in power and 9.6% torque at 6500rpm. This could be left as it is and give a less than accurate impression as the peak power comparison between standard and modified, ignoring rpm, shows a gain of 5.77%.

Essentially there are many ways to play with figures, however there was a clear power and torque advantage over the whole tested rev range of 2000rpm to 6500rpm. One specific detailed run was done between 6000rpm and just under the rev limiter at 6750rpm to simply confirm that the power peak point as the tests with the ITG showed power was higher at 6500 than 6000rpm which wasn't the case in standard form. The power was tailing off at 6500, but testing in 500rpm blocks didn't initially show this.

The sound that the system makes is no different to standard unless the throttle is wide open and the revs are past 3000rpm. If so then the added acceleration is accompanied by a deep V6 growl that isn't dissimilar to some Turbo V6 Italian exotica!!

The results are on the whole very pleasing and back to back driving in standard and modified form shows the standard arrangement to feel 'lame' in response. I was actually expecting the power to show greater difference in the 4500 to 6000rpm range than was seen, with less in the lower rev range. Nevertheless it is good to see gains everywhere.

The results of this test have confirmed that ITG will now be developing a production version of the Maxogen induction system for the ZS 180 at a price to be fixed and a date to be arranged. It may help them to gauge demand for this kit it those with an interest were to perhaps send an e-mail to ITG registering their interest. They are currently very committed with several F1 contracts, as well as being the supplier for all BTCC entrants. The latter providing an interesting connection between the three MG EX 259 race cars and the road versions.

For those with ZS 120 models then the new system just coming on line from the 200/25/ZR should be able to provide similar results, with perhaps the exception of the ZR 160 which has a much better induction set up to start with.

Rog

I suggest that those of you who are interested register your interest : Website is at http://www.itgairfilters.com/ and e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another interesting comment on the BBS from Roger is that the PG1 in the ZS180 is only rated at 240 Nm - exactly what the standard car produces! This means that any mod which increases the peak torque figure - like Rog's ITG kit - exceeds the rating of the gearbox. :eek: That, in turn, must mean that your gearbox warranty is invalidated, no question. :(

Hey ho,

S.

·
Registered
136 Posts
if the gearbox did go, standard equipment can be put back on in 1 hour? so he could just tell a little porky and pretend he has no idea what happenned?

·
Registered
388 Posts
PaulMcGUIRE said:
if the gearbox did go, standard equipment can be put back on in 1 hour? so he could just tell a little porky and pretend he has no idea what happenned?
I wouldn't expect MGR to pay the costs associated with my tinkering - and I am sure that Rog wouldn't either. If you want to mod your car, fine - but you have to accept the consequences.

S.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I have been advised by ITG that the cost will be in the region of £ 250.00 + VAT :eek: Guess I'll have to start putting money in the piggy bank, should have enough by the time my three year warrenty is up :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts