MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mainly been busy refinishing 2 sets of facia bits for the zeds.

Pictures aren't great, but you get the flavour.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
That looks well nice, good job. :)

Where did you get the heater chrome rings from as I sold mine with the car, and got mine from DaveMGT. :)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heater rings came from The Tuning Shop Team on ebay.....at least I think that was their name lol

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Many thanks Pete, how did you spray the centre console, did you have to remove the whole thing first and take out console, or does it pop out from the side? :)

You need a silver XPower gearknob to finish it off. :yup:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to remove the whole console, and remove the front panel to spray it, removal is very straightforward, 5 screws and the electrical plugs off the back, the armrest section also needs to be removed as well which is 2x10mm bolts and 2 screws, the most time consuming part was getting the head unit back in without marking the new paint, it's a tight fit behind there.

The actual painting was done with acrylic gloss black spray, it's the same stuff that modellers use to paint plastic kits.

First step was to remove the original Technical Grey finish, I used a detail sander with 120 grit paper, then used 600 wet & dry to smooth it down for paint, then 3 coats of paint, I didn't prime because acrylic will bond to plastic without it, leave it to harden for a couple of days then bring up the final finish with 12000 grade micromesh used with soapy water, it takes a while but was worth the effort in the end, final finish is achieved with a decent car polish.

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Looks better than a Steinway !

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Done a good job haven't you.

Where did you get the knobs?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The knobs look like they are off a BRM, they look fantastic. :yup:

Thanks for the info on how to remove the centre console Pete. :MG:

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Looks very nice:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
looks smart,could you give the site address were you got the rings and heater knobs please,been after them for ages but cant seem to find,not even on ebay!!

cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts