MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good 1st&2nd gears syncro mechanism for a PG1 mounted on an MG ZS180.

My syncros are a little weared said the mechanic when opened the gearbox and i did had issues changing to from 1st to 2nd gear in the past especially when i put my foot down and changed up to 4000-5000 rpm..

So if it is someone who want to sell some PG1 components please PM me.

Thank you!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have 2 180 boxes, 1 is good, having done just 44k from an 05 car, the other has bearing noise and is from an 05 with 80k, the synchros were fine - it had no trouble changing gear, you can have that one for 20quid - its scrap value, or the good one for 60.

I am in derby, Pm me if interested

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Unless rebuilding the box and replacing the bearings and maybe a torsen diff or quaffe it isn't really worth opening up the box, you may as well just fit a good used one.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Unless rebuilding the box and replacing the bearings and maybe a torsen diff or quaffe it isn't really worth opening up the box, you may as well just fit a good used one.
disagree, you never know what your buying with a second hand box, and if its rebuilt then it can be like new again, can build a box for as much as a second hand box most the time, and usually much cheaper than a "recon" box which you dont know if its actually been reconned or just removed and painted black

·
Registered
731 Posts
most recon boxes just have replacement end bearings at best, you can easily do that yourself.

|Anyway, I have realsied this chap lives in eastern europe, so picking up a box is not that easy, postage would be a fortune.

that said, posting the gearset which has the syncros in may be a sensible option.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
disagree, you never know what your buying with a second hand box, and if its rebuilt then it can be like new again, can build a box for as much as a second hand box most the time, and usually much cheaper than a "recon" box which you dont know if its actually been reconned or just removed and painted black
But he wasn't talking about rebuilding the box, just replacing the syncos on 1st and 2nd, and I did say UNLESS YOU ARE REBUILDING.............

There is NO point in removing the box from the car and spliting it just to replace the 2 syncos, you'll soon be dropping it again to replace bearings etc.....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ah getcha, was gonna say otherwise if it wasnt worth it wonder how my da's been in buisness for about 27 years now rebuilding transmissions lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi!

Thanks for your replyes.

I have opened the box already and fitted a torsen diff and also a rover 820 4.2 final drive, so when the mechanic changed the countershaft he said that the 1st&2nd syncro mech is weared and will need to be changed in the future and as i said i had issues changing from 1st into 2nd.

The gearbox is only 30k miles old but the previous owner burnt the clutch at around 15k miles and i changed the clutch after i bought it from him so i think this is why the syncro mech must be weared....

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Got to agree with Rich, If you know your way round a g/box why wouldnt you repair it! The PG1 is quite a nice box to strip. Dont know why the bearings would want replacing either? It sounds like Costel21 mate knows what hes doing anyway

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Still after the parts...

Also i want a reverse gear and mechanism for the PG1

And also i am looking for the washer spacing from the countershaft, there are 5 different sizes, partnumbers: DBM659,DBM660,DBM661,DBM658,DBM662 (Rimmerbros)

I think that after i replaced the countershaft with another one, i have kept the same washer and i think that the components on the countershaft have a little play on in.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Got to agree with Rich, If you know your way round a g/box why wouldnt you repair it! The PG1 is quite a nice box to strip. Dont know why the bearings would want replacing either? It sounds like Costel21 mate knows what hes doing anyway
Sorry for the delayed reply but this is the first time I've seen your messege.

If one needs to replace parts of the gearbox surley this would be either due to wear or some other form of damage, logic goes on to suggest that the wear or damage would result in contaminents such as metal particles getting into the oil and accelerating wear on other parts such as bearings, logic goes on to suggest that if one is going to the effort of removing the gearbox and rebuilding it one may as well replace the bearings which may well have worn due to the contaminents such as metal particles as it removes the possibility of having to remove the gearbox again soon to replace the bearings.

That is what I would do anyway. At work we have a practice of doing the bare minimum to keep equipment working, the result is that of 8 forklift trucks we regularly have 2 off the road, one has had continued over heating problems for months as they will only replace bits of the cooling system as they fail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts