1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
excellent, some common sense at last !

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
not that I condone the riots or people living on benefits but if they get the benefits cut and get chucked out of their council house what will they do? The governmet will just have to help them another way or it would be called cruel and unusual punishment.

I think they should be forced to work breaking rocks in public where they can be humiliated in front of the poeple they have insulted and stolen from.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree totally with Spectre.

It's a ridiculous idea along with the "throw them out of their council house" idea suggested by the PM.

If either of those things happen then we really would have a problem! Too quick to condemn and too slow to understand....

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
There is nothing to understand.

Not sure this petition is a good idea though.

But what is certain these cretins need to be punished. Send them to Afghanistan - with no weapons and lets see how brave they are then. Pathetic, criminal cowards.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Too quick to condemn and too slow to understand....
How much understanding was given to the Student robbed while having a significant injury to his jaw ? how much understanding was given to the owners and staff of the Furniture business run for 140 years by the same family ? how much understanding was given to the 3 young men mown down on the pavement on Dudley Road in Birmingham ? the list goes on and on and on . . .

The criminals involved, yes they are criminals, all have more than I ever had as a child and teenager. I never had my own TV, we had one B&W TV in our household, we didn't have a car, no telephone let alone mobiles . . . holidays abroad ? ha ha ha we didn't always have a family holiday. These criminals do not know what it is to go without . . . they live in a "can have" environment fostered by their weak parents.

If you want a good idea for a petition . . . call for parents to be held responsible for their children's actions and for that to be rigorously enforced.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Send them to Afghanistan - with no weapons and lets see how brave they are then.
What makes you think the armed forces would want them there?

I suppose putting them in stocks and letting people throw rotten fruit at them would be against their human rights... I think humiliation in public is a good way of instilling a sense of discipline.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
In all honesty I say sod em, especially when I hear a pensioner died from head injuries sustained from rioters when he was trying to stop a fire to a bin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14500869

Granted the ones that claim from the state won't be kicked out of their free homes or their free cash stopped. But as the general public we need to show that behavior like this is not acceptable. What other option is there? At least now the petition has reached 100k its formally referred to a committee to decide if it will be discussed in the house of commons. That's not a bad thing is it? Sign it I say.

This proves there is some sanity in this country: (Cant find the original BBC link)

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/2011/07/24/no-charges-against-man-who-stabbed-burglar-to-death/

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
At least now the petition has reached 100k its formally referred to a committee to decide if it will be discussed in the house of commons. That's not a bad thing is it? Sign it I say.

This proves there is some sanity in this country:
No, it shows there is ignorance . . .

How can you punish two offenders, who have committed the same crime, differently ? one gets punished more, because he/she is on benefits, than the other who is not on benefits . . . its a stupid suggestion.

I say punish both harshly but equally.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
If convicted looters on benefits should lose their benefits and council homes then convicted looters who work should lose their wage and their council homes (should they live in one), like the model, the lifeguard, the teaching assistant, the social worker and the organic chef. That millionaire's grammar school daughter should be able to cough up a fair bit for repairs too.

And throwing someone out of their council home for criminal convictions isn't new. It's been happening a long time before Dave came into power.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it shows there is ignorance . . .

How can you punish two offenders, who have committed the same crime, differently ? one gets punished more, because he/she is on benefits, than the other who is not on benefits . . . its a stupid suggestion.

I say punish both harshly but equally.
The fact the riots were a direct attack against a society that pays for and supports some individuals involved is the difference. As Christina says what's to stop the non benefit claiming rioters that get charged by the courts paying more in taxes to recover some costs?

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
In my opinion benefits don't really have anything to do with it, other than highlighting the offenders' lack of gratitude. They should be punished the same way as any other would be.

They've caused loss (financial and/or personal) and suffering but I'd rather not be involved in doing the same back to them and, in doing so, become them.

It's a fine line, and it's never easy to fight 'bad' with 'good' but, when you look at the bigger picture, it's the only way (if you want the general state of the world to improve).

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
By the tone of the last two replies then maybe increasing their benefits would work?
Maybe out of every £ I earn they should get 98p? Am sure that by following my law abiding life as I have so far that 2p will serve me well and allow me to do all I want to do....

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
By the tone of the last two replies then maybe increasing their benefits would work?
Maybe out of every £ I earn they should get 98p? Am sure that by following my law abiding life as I have so far that 2p will serve me well and allow me to do all I want to do....
The rioters are not a charity case, no. I'm sure these particular people have enough (which obviously makes their deed worse), but if you are truly living in such excess then there are many, many charities that would welcome your generosity.

Cancelling benefits might seem like fair and just punishment, and perhaps it would do some good for some of them (if they're not strictly in need of it), but there are likely some who really need it to get by. Hard to imagine such a person would be rioting, of course, but lives are never simple.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
As Christina says what's to stop the non benefit claiming rioters that get charged by the courts paying more in taxes to recover some costs?
That isn't covered in the Petition in question . . . what you are talking about is fining the offenders ? I would rather they ALL get time inside.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Maybe some interrogation and some electrodes attached to their testicles would help - oh and with lots of voltage. :)

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
I saw the start of that "saints & sinners" programme the other week. The story wasn't about this in particular but it did mention a woman who was part of an investigation. She'd had a stroke back in her youth (which I have HUGE sympathy & empathy for) but she was getting benefits of £25k per year - I just cannot understand how anybody should get benefits greater than what would be quite a high up job in almost any sphere. My mrs is an area manager and not on anything near that, you'd have to be pretty near the top in nursing to get a wage like that, just makes you think theres something completely wrong in it all.

BTW to the reply above, I could actually do with every penny out of each £ I earn. But some of the bleeding heart, luvvy dovey, wishy washy, do-gooder brigade seem to think that I should only keep about 2p per £.
Obviously if we just gave each of these poor souls absolutely everything they crave the riots wouldn't have happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts