MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 160 has now done 6000 miles. Not only has the acceleration improved dramatically, especially in the last 1000 miles, but the stearing seems to have more feel and the car seems to be handling better. Now I expected the acceleration to improve because every engine improves after a few thousand miles, but I've have never heard people go on about improved handling. steering etc after a car has been run in.

Has anyone else experienced improved steering, handling etc with their MG or any other car for that matter? Or is it just my brain playing mind games with me??!! :)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It could well be that the bushes, dampers & springs are settling in a bit, but its probably just that you are more confident with the car so although it appears the car is handling better, your probably pushing it harder without noticing.

Just don't push too far:D

One thing which would make a difference is the fact that the tyres have now scrubbed in a bit, not unlike with formula 1 they scrubb off the first couple mm in practice, take them off and use the tyres later for the race.

Mike

·
Long Haired Lout
1,050 Posts
I have had some experience of this. Before purchasing my 160, I had a R25 1.6is from new. I traded it up for the zed with just over 13000 on the clock, I found the engine just got better the more miles it had on it. It first starting giving me better performance after about 1500 miles, again at 3000, 6000 and then again at 12000. I swear my R25 had better mid range delivery when I gave it back than the zed did when I picked it up. Its the k series engine, it just seems to be the present that keeps giving!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Had my ZR120 from new...now 4 months and 5,500 miles old.

Engine opened up noticeably in last 1,000 miles or so and I responded my opening her up more often too!

·
Registered
214 Posts
yup i agree, ive noticed the performance of my 120 improve by quite abit over the last 1000 miles or so. handling has improved to, or maybe it's my faith in the car! got all 4 wheels sliding nicely last nite around the island at junction 13 of the m6. :rockon:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have all this to look forward to! My 120 is approaching 3 months old and 3000 miles. I may find myself driving needless journies just to clock a few more miles up!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
mmmm...interesting...Had my 105 now for 5 months (4600 miles).Apart from noticing a slight difference after 1000 miles can`t say its got any better in the next 3000 or so..

A few of yous are saying that you`ve noticed an improvement after the 5000mile mark, so hopefully i will as well, although i`m perfectly happy with the performance of it the now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah my zr105 has covered 4600 miles since march and (I know its wrong) but regurely gets red lined.... :angst
Acceleration has always been about the same,perhaps a bit more free reving now but not a lot.
The car does however bog down in first when gunning it from the lights.. unless its revved to around 4500 rpm...>???
Dont know why this is..

·
Registered
515 Posts
mine gets lumpy in 1st .......you really need to Rev them to get on a flyer off the lights.

but hey........dont the go round corners well.

Have suped up airfilter on order ......hopefully more air .....more power.:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have piper x induction kit on my 120 and it sounds superb... I have noticed an improvement in performance but I also have the throttle body upgrade so not sure what difference the air filter has made. But the air filter will need a couple of thousand miles under its belt before it starts to perform. I live in hope!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah they are a bit lumpy in 1st s'pose thats usual for a tuned twin cam.
At least its not just my car (I am a bit paranoid):rolleyes:

Regarding the cornering, yeah corner ****** brilliantly, only downside is my front tyres are a bit scuffed on the ouside edge but how yuo can lash through roundabouts :D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Elaines ZR was a little 'lumpy' in first but seems much better since we changed the air filter for a K&N replacement panel filter (still uses the original airbox).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts