MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted a warden at 50 yards getting ready to print me out a ticket. Shouted out to him to hold off but he duly pretended not to hear me and continued to issue the ticket. I was really frustrated as I'd overstayed by just 2 minutes and the controlled parking hours would have ended in 5 minutes anyway.

He was still standing by my car when I got there so I calmly asked him if it was too late and he says yes. I proceeded to get into car and noticed that he hadn't placed the ticket on the windscreen yet - and did not look like he was about to anytime soon!

So I held out my hand and asked if he was going to give me the ticket (which, by now, he was holding close to his chest like some winning poker hand!). He proceeded to come out with the line about how I wasn't obliged to take to the ticket if I didn't want to (how did he get the notion that I didn't want to??) and only then mumbled that I would lose my early payment discount if I didn't.

It's quite obvious that this traffic warden wanted me to drive off without collecting the penalty notice. Which bring me to my question. WHY?

Do they double their commission if you don't pay in time and end up paying the full penalty charge? In this case it's 30 quid if I pay now, 60 if I dither.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Do you have the ticket? Dont they have to wait 5 mins before they can give you the ticket so being only 2mins overdue wouldnt count? Dunno sounds like an aarse hole to me

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the ticket? Dont they have to wait 5 mins before they can give you the ticket so being only 2mins overdue wouldnt count? Dunno sounds like an aarse hole to me
Sorry, that was misleading. 7 minutes in total, if you include the 5 minutes allowed.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
......******!!
Thats still slack esp as you turned up while still there, its not like you were taking the pee and werent coming back for hours!

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Nobody press gangs "people" into doing that job. They actually apply to do a job that will offend many and help few.

"Never in the field of traffic enforcement were so many people offended by so few"

I am sure that the orator of the original version of the above would have found the parking enforcement tyranny worthy of the enemy we were fighting then.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I must be one of the few people that like Traffic Wardens. I get really annoyed with people that are too lazy to park properly and inconvenience other people (I appriciate you didn't do this and were very unlucky to have got a ticket).

Can you imagine the chaos if there were no wardens? people park badly enough as it is.

In Reading they don't even bother putting a ticket on your car, they photograph your car then send the ticket to you in the post so you don't even know you've been done. I am not speaking from experience by the way, I saw it on Watchdog or a similar program.

·
What are vis valves?
3,313 Posts
I must be one of the few people that like Traffic Wardens. I get really annoyed with people that are too lazy to park properly and inconvenience other people (I appriciate you didn't do this and were very unlucky to have got a ticket).

Can you imagine the chaos if there were no wardens? people park badly enough as it is.

In Reading they don't even bother putting a ticket on your car, they photograph your car then send the ticket to you in the post so you don't even know you've been done. I am not speaking from experience by the way, I saw it on Watchdog or a similar program.

i aggree. people park bad enough on double yellows etc, and there should really be no exceptions other than emergancys.

however some wardens are very up themselves, much the same as this story, i know he was over the time limit but it wasnt like he wasnt on his way back to his car.

Ross

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just VERY curious to know why the warden seemed so reluctant to hand me the ticket.

He wouldn't relinquish it even when I walked back to him and politely ASKED him for it! Instead he went into a script about how I didn't HAVE to take the ticket but if I chose not to I could lose my early payment discount. He actually mumbled the last part as if hoping I'd misunderstand.

So, do Wardens have something to gain (commission-wise) if you drive off without the ticket and end up paying the full charge? That was the whole point of my post.

I mean, call me paranoid, but how else am I supposed to interpret this strange behaviour?

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
I'm just VERY curious to know why the warden seemed so reluctant to hand me the ticket.

He wouldn't relinquish it even when I walked back to him and politely ASKED him for it! Instead he went into a script about how I didn't HAVE to take the ticket but if I chose not to I could lose my early payment discount. He actually mumbled the last part as if hoping I'd misunderstand.

So, do Wardens have something to gain (commission-wise) if you drive off without the ticket and end up paying the full charge? That was the whole point of my post.

I mean, call me paranoid, but how else am I supposed to interpret this strange behaviour?
In my eyes you have answered your own question.

The warden will be clearly instructed as what to do.

The UK is clearly a country that is set up to take money away from those who cant afford it.

If i was 20 years younger i would not think twice about getting out of this Place.

We pay probably more taxes than any other euro country and yet we have the worst standards .

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my eyes you have answered your own question.
If i was 20 years younger i would not think twice about getting out of this Place.

We pay probably more taxes than any other euro country and yet we have the worst standards .
As of today, the goverment has abolished rate relief for small businesses. The old guy who owns the small launderette around the corner has just been presented by the council with a rate demand for £8000. Last year he was paying £2500! Business is so slow as it is that he's barely managing to pay his bills. Most people would have packed up and quit years ago, but he's kept the business running to provide a service to the community and especially the old folk who don't have washing machines. He serves them with free cups of tea when they come to wash their clothes and they enjoy having a natter. Now he's going to have to close. As will the baker, the florist and probably half the small shops down this road. This government is determined to rip the heart out of communities.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
There is always a sour taste in the mouth when one has received a parking ticket but I am standing on Andyf on this one. In this country people would park anywhere to avoid from paying and also being lazy so they don't have so far to walk (I'm not say you are in this case). There is already a 5 minutes grace period which should be ample for one to return to the car.

·
Registered
795 Posts

I think you might be right, I am sure I saw some undercover reporter type program with wardens issuing dodgey tickets to get more money.

There is always a sour taste in the mouth when one has received a parking ticket but I am standing on Andyf on this one. In this country people would park anywhere to avoid from paying and also being lazy so they don't have so far to walk (I'm not say you are in this case). There is already a 5 minutes grace period which should be ample for one to return to the car.
So i'm not alone, us plus Ross makes 3!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I recently got clamped for parking in a resident's only zone. Granted I didn't have a permit, but I was only staying there for half an hour to help a friend move in - and there were at least 15 spaces around me, so it's not like I was blocking anybody. I got charged £200 removal - whatever happened to the polite notices?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whatever happened to the polite notices?
I got one of those polite notices last week when I parked outside someones house. "Please do not park in our driveway". Kind of odd. Cause there was no driveway, no dropped kerb and no line markings. Just a knocked down front wall beyond which he'd dumped building rubble. Even if he cleared the rubble he still wouldn't have had enough space to park a car. Do people just assume they can claim the space in front of their house as theirs? Should've knocked on his door and asked him to explain.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Do people just assume they can claim the space in front of their house as theirs?
Granted the space is not theirs. I am one of them who like to park my own car in front of my own house even though the road belongs to the local council. I am not a big fan of people parking in front of my house as I would have to park somewhere else and having this knock on effect on others. In front of my house I can park 2 cars but I only have 1 car so it shouldn't be an issue but then sometimes you get ignorant people parking in the middle of the 2 spaces. Also the houses on the rest of the street can only park 1 car per house but some of the families have 2-3 cars so the maths doesn't quite go. I am not one of those start putting notices on car windscreen but I have said to myself if I don't park in your space you shouldn't park in mine. I have mine and you have yours. I don't live on a street where cars parked bumper to bumper but sometimes although rarely the odd parking problem.

Now imagine if you don't have a driveway and have to park on the street, would you not prefer to have your car in front of your own living room rather than parking somewhere else?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I recently got clamped for parking in a resident's only zone. Granted I didn't have a permit, but I was only staying there for half an hour to help a friend move in - and there were at least 15 spaces around me, so it's not like I was blocking anybody. I got charged £200 removal - whatever happened to the polite notices?
Someone on my shift at work parked the unmarked car in a residents space while he went to get a statement in relation to a fatal collision. He got a ticket and they wouldn't cancel it and our management (as usual) didn't help out at all so he had to pay the £60.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
What, thats unreal Andy!! I thought he would certainly not have to pay as it was an
unmarked police car, things are seriously wrong in this country....

I used to work for a food chain delivery company, delivering to sweet shops and off licences, I used to get at least a ticket a day in London, some traffic wardens are waiting on mopeds to pounce on you, luckily the company paid all the tickets, was only there a couple of months, didn't enjoy the job much.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now imagine if you don't have a driveway and have to park on the street, would you not prefer to have your car in front of your own living room rather than parking somewhere else?
Sure I would. who wouldn't? Nowadays I live in a private block with its own car park so parking at home isn't a problem. But at my previous residence if ever I came home to find a free space outside my front door I would look around suspiciously thinking it was a wind-up. Here, in London you can live in a million pound home and still struggle with parking. Even with a resident's pass.

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
I watched a warden ticketing a SUV that was parked on the pavement. His moped was parked on the pavement while he was writing the ticket. Later he was writing another ticket for someone parked on a single yellow for some reason. His moped was also parked on the single yellow and next to a dropped kerb. A warden should be setting an example. If I were subject to a ticket in those circumstances, I would insist that ALL the vehicles commiting the offence are ticketed.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I watched a warden ticketing a SUV that was parked on the pavement. His moped was parked on the pavement while he was writing the ticket. Later he was writing another ticket for someone parked on a single yellow for some reason. His moped was also parked on the single yellow and next to a dropped kerb.
That should have been worthy of a photo or 2.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts