MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never painted calipers before and wondered if there was any special things I need to do ? Not sure wether to go with red to match leather and MG badges or x power green, any ideas which colour works best (or pics) with a black ZS ?

Jez

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
Personal choice!

Mine are painted silver with smoothrite- but halfords do proper caliper paint kits (foliatec iirc!)- and there is a colour called power green iirc- which looks pretty much like xpower green! (Aldons car has this colour calipers iirc!)

think those kits are around the £25 mark!

Reccomend you wire brsuh/ clean off the calipers as best you can before doin them though!

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
Personal choice!

Mine are painted silver with smoothrite- but halfords do proper caliper paint kits (foliatec iirc!)- and there is a colour called power green iirc- which looks pretty much like xpower green! (Aldons car has this colour calipers iirc!)

think those kits are around the £25 mark!

Reccomend you wire brsuh/ clean off the calipers as best you can before doin them though!
Yeah that Power Green is very similar to the Xpower Green. Looking at your picture I would suggest XP Green, the dark colour of the car an the light, bright green would sute really well and would stand out more but yet red would aswell.

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Cheers, going for the green, will post some pics after the weekend providing I dont cock up :)
Good choice, my tip is have all 4 wheels removed on axles stands use plenty of brake cleaner and a wire brush. The kits come with cleaner but buy more. When painted do not replace wheels unitill touch dry or move car for 24 hours like it says on the box. I couldn't wait when I did the red, it makes a hell of a mess on the inside of the wheels, then it sets rock hard and refuses to come off without serious force that you don't really want to be using on your wheels.

Happy painting

ps. another tip, put some old sheets or newspaper on the drive because the caliper enamel is very runny when it's applied.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Pics of mine in gallery...

Painted them red to go with the red inserts on my interior...

Cheers,

J:)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Dont Get Ripped Off With £20 For Calliper Paints.hammerite Is Just As Good And At A Fraction Of The Cost.i Got Xpower Grey And Used Gold Hammerite.initially Took Two Coats And Then A Top Coat Each Spring.looks Great.just Make Sure That All Dust Residue Is Off Using A Wire Brush.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do u need to remove/disconnect the calipers when doing this? is there areas that shouldnt be painted?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
NO DO IT ALL IN PLACE AND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN SEE VISIBLY AS IF LOOKING THROUGH THE WHEEL. ME BEING FUSSY i WENT AROUND THE REAR A BIT AS WELL. FIRST APPLICATION IS HARDEST BUT ONCE YOU'VE BEEN THERE NO PROBS REFRESHING EACH YEAR.

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
I agree the green looks good. Don't think Hammerite do that lime shade, so where's the best place to buy a kit? Didn't see that option of colour in Halfords on-line.
Try this link, the selected item is the lime green Foliatec Break Caliper Kit.
http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=262166&a=i

Also if you type in "Foliatec Brake Caliper" into the search bar at the top of the site it will show you the full range of Foliatec break kits.

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Hammerite is for painting fences. It is not heat resistant, it is designed to cure and stop rust and needs, as you say, topping up every year. On the other hand 'expensive' caliper paint is 2 pac enamel that IIRC is heat resistant to 600 deg cent and as smooth as glass. If done well it won't need topping up. Mines been on about 14 months and 15000 miles and looks exactly the same as when I did it.

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
I have to agree there, my dad used Hammerite and has to redo them every year to keep them looking good. The proper stuff is called that for a reason lol

I recon the green will look fantastic! Mine are gold at the moment but will be getting done green when I get my new wheels

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.