MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a couple of hours today working on the bonnet.

I've been doing a couple of panels each week, coz if I try to do the whole car in one hit I get bored!

So here's some pics, and the stuff I used are in the last 2 pics

·
Sideways on Fire
158 Posts
/\/\

Nice Flip-Flops :D

Oh, and great results on the paint mate, looks top notch.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What were the before pics like? Did you have bad swirl marks? How much did all the bits cost to be able to do it yo self home boy.
The polisher came with those two bottles of polish and cost £135.

Do a YouTube search for dual action polisher or machine polishing a car and there's loads of how to guides.

I've used it on a 15 year old Clio, a 2008 civic, my zs, a megane renaultsport and a 2001 fiesta with no issues messing it up.

There were swirls on my bonnet. I still have one or two deeper scratches but my aggressive pad was too dirty to use today so I only had the medium pad available.

Ps you need to clay before machine polishing or you'll get some contaminant caught in the pad which will do damage

And don't forget to wax afterwards. Claying and polishing aggressively strips the paint of all it's protection

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
ive considered getting my paint work corrected. Its pearl black so shows up swirl marks worse than any other colour. I wouldnt fancy doing it myself mind you.

I have heard it is possibly to do paint correction with only removing a very very thin layer of the clear coat so some protection remains. But waxing afterwards is always advised.

Good job anyway, looks better with ever post that ZS of yours.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
also after using menz polish you supposed to prep the paint with a wax cleaner polish as this removes the oils left from the menz and helps the wax adhere properly :)

nice work by the way im a fan of menz, and all i use is a medium pad on MGR paint as its very soft to work with

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also after using menz polish you supposed to prep the paint with a wax cleaner polish as this removes the oils left from the menz and helps the wax adhere properly :)

nice work by the way im a fan of menz, and all i use is a medium pad on MGR paint as its very soft to work with
Is that what dodo juice lime prime lite is for? If so I used that on the Clio I did but was too lazy to do that this time lol.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
Yeah dodo LP is a pre wax cleaner, also if you use dodo LP on a medium pad you will suprised at how good it is when correcting paint, especially MGR paint

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah dodo LP is a pre wax cleaner, also if you use dodo LP on a medium pad you will suprised at how good it is when correcting paint, especially MGR paint
Great advice thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts